Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner calls it a model 1905 Military and Police.

Says the serial number has a "Z" (as in Zorro) above it. He reports 54XXX, which doesn't sound right to me because the rear sight notch is square. Has what look to be S&W target grips which I guess are a later addition. Has pinned barrel.

Does any of the above suggest a before or after date of manufacture? I suspect owner has dropped one or more digits from the reported serial #.

Sorry I can't offer more details. Thanks for any assistance.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Perhaps a sideways "N" for Nickle (the way the factory marks them under the grips)?

Must have pictures showing details in clear sharp focus to be of much help.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
389 Posts
With five digits and a random letter stamped above it, I am pretty certain the guy is looking at the assembly number in the yoke cut and not the serial number on the butt.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Post 1 = Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! SN's are also under the barrel and on face of cylinder on the old guns. I think Absalom is correct and he is giving you the assembly number from inside the yoke cut with the cylinder open. S&W didn't put SN's there until the late 1950's. Have him remove the stocks and give you the official SN from the bottom of the butt.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for your responses and for the Welcomes. Glad to be here with so many knowledgeable S&W troops.

About the only detail I'm sure about is the square notch rear sight. I thought the square, as opposed to the earlier narrow Vee-notch, would peg it as being manufactured after a certain date. If I am correct in this, what is that date?

As I said in the opener, I suspect the owner might have dropped a digit in reporting the serial #. In other words, it might be 54XXXX instead of 54XXX. I'll get back with the owner and ask for the number on the butt.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yes, the wider square notch with wider front sights on the M&P appeared in the early 1920's. The earlier rear sight was a narrower "U" shape set in a rounded divot.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts