Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, found this old revolver in my dad's safe, all the information I have on it is listed in the thread title and in the pics, can I get help dating it as well as value? (not looking to sell just want to know more about it).

Thanks for any information you can give me :grin:

rev pic break.jpg rev pic serial.jpg Rev pic whole.jpg

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey DJ,

Welcome to S&W!

What a fine looking "specimen"! (of yesteryear)!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: DeeJSiG and jeepnut

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again everyone, thanks for dating the revolver and the props on the find! It had been buried in the safe, but it's gonna be living in a nice lil case for easier access for me so I can appreciate it more often. Im excited to know that the grips are original, only makes me appreciate it more. Thanks again, and glad to be a part of the forum.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
FYI, pearl stocks are not as durable as wood or horn so they chip easily. Just so you are aware.

Kevin
Real pearls are subject to becoming brittle & cracking in excessively dry conditions, so maybe that also applies to MOP. If so, what's good for the metal is bad for the MOP.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Beautiful little revolver. The lack of a blue finish on the action release knob and no case hardening on the hammer and trigger indicates a refinish. Still a dandy though. Pearls with the S&W logo aren't seen too often and are worth $150 -200 by themselves. Early S&W pearl stocks did not have the round gold plated medallions but pearl hand gun grips were such a popular after market item back then that S&W started to put medallions on theirs around 1893.

John

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've always assumed my .38 has been refinished, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
Rather surprising, as I'd bet most of them, esp. the ones with pearl grips, spent most of their time in a dresser drawer or bedside table, not used in a way that would damage their finish; in fact, if they were ever subjected to a lot of wear, you'd think the pearl would show it first.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Neither the OP's .32 or the .38 have the blue or CC; does this mean they've both been refinished?
I believe so. Going by what I've seen, I think it was a fairly common practice. Many of the old nickel top breaks we see look like crap. Many of the nicer ones have been refinished. Fewer still are pristine collector pieces.
Note that Scott's .38 shows no case hard on the trigger or hammer as well. But it's still a nice revolver. Remember, theses guns are close to 100 years old or older. A little touch up don't hurt none for function, though it does kill the collector value a mite.

John

Reactions: scott
1 - 16 of 16 Posts