Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't live in Phoenix, but an adjacent city, however for good reason I watch how the city works, especially when it involves the police department. I was initially supportive of this Chief, a black woman who came up through the ranks, but she is now wilting to political, anti-cop pressure from a small vocal minority that has the ear and full support of an uber-liberal mayor. Legitimate appointed oversight committee's recommendations be damned, the Chief is always quick on the trigger to fire officers.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/phoenix-police-determines-discipline-for-officers-investigated-for-inappropriate-social-media-posts

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
When I read things about historically red states starting or possibly starting towards being a purple or blue state... it makes me ask myself out loud "is there any place out west that isn't being infected by ex-pat Californian's, that I can safely flee to as a endangered Californian conservative?"

Texas has me concerned as it's become a top choice for people fleeing CA's cost of living, and they import their politics with them.

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
A cop-hating operation in Philadelphia called The Plain View Project is identifying cops on FB and making an issue out of anything that can be put in a negative light. That's the origin for this.

That said, I looked at the FB postings by fired detective Dave Swick. A veteran cop has got to know the heat he's going to bring down on his department by posting stuff like the below in public.

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.20.39 AM.png

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
We're seeing similar abuse of our system here in a couple of the 100 North Carolina counties. The sheriffs (Democrats) ran on a platform that included not cooperating with ICE. Now we are seeing the crime rate rise in those counties, and some particularly bad crimes happening because the illegal invader criminals are immediately released into the community:

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/09/09/ice-nearly-undocumented-immigrants-released-nc-jails-despite-detainer/

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdnc/pr/us-attorney-andrew-murray-testifies-us-senate-judiciary-subcommittee

These are but a few examples of how a community's quality of life can be damaged by officials acting without regard to the law in order to influence well established systems with progressive (but very dangerous) policies.

These people, emboldened by their election or appointment, think that they "know better". They pander to a minority that they need support from in order to just push their elections into a percent or two of winning. With that power, they then repay the political machine that supported them.

Their corruption grows with their taste of power. Over time, even the most well meaning patriot ends up succumbing to the temptations of power and greed. I've seen it happen repeatedly.

It's time for conservatives to call out the hypocrisy and start building constituencies to just say no to these venal politicians and agency wonks.

Wny do you have a "uber-liberal" mayor? What promises are that mayor finding impossible to keep? What important things are being left to rot by a mayor who has their attention diverted to bright and shiny things?

·
Registered
203 Posts
A cop-hating operation in Philadelphia called The Plain View Project is identifying cops on FB and making an issue out of anything that can be put in a negative light. That's the origin for this.

That said, I looked at the FB postings by fired detective Dave Swick. A veteran cop has got to know the heat he's going to bring down on his department by posting stuff like the below in public.

View attachment 413793
So cops surrender their 1st Amendment rights upon accepting a job?

Certainly, we can have expectations for their on-duty speech, but this is no different from liberals shutting down conservative speech across social media. I see the city of Phoenix paying this guy a lot of $$ when this is all done.

And Phoenix, BTW, has been lost to the left for a while.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Re: First Amendment. Please note, the first amendment only applies to political speech. It does provide protection from the consequences of civil speech. For instance, as a citizen of the United States, I can and do affirm my 2nd Amendment rights. I own and enjoy my firearms. I enjoy sharing the comradely of other like minded persons. I understand that if I make statements on social media that express my support/advocacy for the 2nd Amendment, it is possible that my employer may take objection to and visit consequences upon me for my support of the 2nd Amendment. With this in mind, I do not write or make statements that are extreme, angry, hateful, racist, etc. I do this fundamentally b/c of my commitment to Christ. I can see how the same need for thoughtful circumspect writing/speaking might be wise for any other professional, whether they be law enforcement officers, business owners, doctors, etc. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Phoenix: the reason we in AZ were inflicted w/ Senator McCain & are now inflicted w/ Senator Sinema. Unfortunately there are way too many instances of corrupt cops now & too many overworked cops due to unfilled positions... & few who would want to fill them. One of the big issues everywhere is comifornicaters who retire to other states where they have no idea how to get along when they get there. This will probably tick off some people but I think everyone should be required to live in the state they worked in. Don't come here after you supported a screwed up mess & expect to be welcome.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Phoenix: the reason we in AZ were inflicted w/ Senator McCain & are now inflicted w/ Senator Sinema. Unfortunately there are way too many instances of corrupt cops now & too many overworked cops due to unfilled positions... & few who would want to fill them. One of the big issues everywhere is comifornicaters who retire to other states where they have no idea how to get along when they get there. This will probably tick off some people but I think everyone should be required to live in the state they worked in. Don't come here after you supported a screwed up mess & expect to be welcome.
WelcomeToArizona.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
So cops surrender their 1st Amendment rights upon accepting a job?

Certainly, we can have expectations for their on-duty speech, but this is no different from liberals shutting down conservative speech across social media. I see the city of Phoenix paying this guy a lot of $$ when this is all done.

And Phoenix, BTW, has been lost to the left for a while.
The right to free speech is guaranteed by the US Constitution. The right to free speech and a job isn't. Cops may be disciplined/terminated for exercising their 1A rights if what they say and/or do off-duty is deemed to erode the public trust or otherwise interferes with the operation of the agency. This is nothing new.

The best advice is to use a little common sense. A cop posting that kinda stuff in public on his FB page is exercising free speech but isn't exercising much common sense IMO.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I moved to AZ for a great career opportunity but even though I am originally from NYC I quickly found I was more conservative than many of the people already here. The old timers on the local gun boards are usually more my speed. I don't think your location dictates your social and political bent but I do lament seeing AZ going further and further left. In the end .. I am no spring chicken so hopefully it will stay somewhat free until I pass. Would hate to have to move again and ... where do you move?!

It is inevitable with the media being the mouthpiece for leftwards thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I think everyone should be required to live in the state they worked in. Don't come here after you supported a screwed up mess & expect to be welcome.
Too broad of a brush... people like me would have no means to leave a state where the political landscape rug, unwillingly got pulled out from under them (or is in the process of being pulled out from under their feet).

A better system would be one where people need to submit an application for permanent residence in the state they want to move to. People would still be free to come and go to any state for a temporary visit, but if you want to become a permanent resident an application process would be needed.

Just as the U.S. has the right to control/secure it's borders, State's should have the right/ability to regulate their borders.

Back in the dust bowl days when scores of people left the Plain's states and went to California, many were turned away at the California border and diverted to Oregon (which is how Oregonian's developed a disdain for California), time for some turnabout is fair play for CA.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
I moved to AZ for a great career opportunity but even though I am originally from NYC I quickly found I was more conservative than many of the people already here.
Right.

I was originally from California. Now living in Tennessee. My relocation to Tennessee could be viewed as a counterbalance to a home grown Left-wing kook in Memphis or Nashville.

I would welcome to Tennessee any liberty-minded individual regardless of where they come. Forum member Ladder13 is from New York. He's among the most liberty-minded individuals on the Forum. On the flip side, I've read some real crap from Forum members who reside in what are considered conservative states.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
You cannot shake the left wing liberals out of the system without term limits and recall ability. The left wing has so many Trojan Horses to sneak in the black hats it is unbelievable. And should a white hat be elected, the black hats will use strong arm tactics/blackmail to turn them into dark gray hats.
Welcome to the era of Obama/ Clinton/ Alinsky methodology.
ETA There is no accountability in government in this day and time to the masses. From a small municipality to the top ranks of the federal government the only real accountability for government bureaucrats occurs if a minority feels they have been slighted.

·
Registered
247 Posts

C'mon to Florida and I'll show you that issue in spades!!!

"We didn't do it like that back North" is most repugnant to Floridians, born here or not, who adopted this states ethos.....................only to see it progressively destroyed by those fleeing high taxes and lousy living conditons in the N/E....who bring their bad habits with them! A demand for more roads/taxes/services and regulations. At least you in Arizona have something left........my home state is being paved and drained at a rate that would likely shock even a Californicator! And almost without exception that foul product is the direct consequence of an import from that metro region!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
You cannot shake the left wing liberals out of the system without term limits and recall ability. The left wing has so many Trojan Horses to sneak in the black hats it is unbelievable. And should a white hat be elected, the black hats will use strong arm tactics/blackmail to turn them into dark gray hats.
Welcome to the era of Obama/ Clinton/ Alinsky methodology.
ETA There is no accountability in government in this day and time to the masses. From a small municipality to the top ranks of the federal government the only real accountability for government bureaucrats occurs if a minority feels they have been slighted.

You properly identify the problem, but the real solution lies not in mere term limits for the elected offices but in a removal of job protection in whatever it's guise throughout the system. That should include any and all persons that control hiring, terminating or in policy setting. If this is not done then the matter of which corrupt party member is ousted really makes not a lick of difference and that offensive aspect will remain, ever more ingrained with the passage of time.

All one need do is reflect on the IRS and the uncountable abuses that the agency has foisted on our citizenry, and that bureau alone is only one of the sort that should be gutted from snout to anus!

Thank God that our founders had the foresight to encumber our structure of government with so many rat traps in an unlit room in order to slow the progression of what can only be termed tyranny.

Brings to mind the articles of complaint drawn against George in our Declaration of Independence. The comparisons are very easily made and more than a little accurate.

At the risk of triteness, I love my country, I fear my government!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I worry that that some day soon a very Liberal Phoenix will control the politics of the state. To many Californians flee Cali to try and turn Phoenix into an extension of California.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
When I read things about historically red states starting or possibly starting towards being a purple or blue state... it makes me ask myself out loud "is there any place out west that isn't being infected by ex-pat Californian's, that I can safely flee to as a endangered Californian conservative?"

Texas has me concerned as it's become a top choice for people fleeing CA's cost of living, and they import their politics with them.
Wyoming would be a good start; PARTS of Idaho...............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts