Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
CTG stands for Cartridge
If it says 38 Special, then that is what it is chambered for.

That's a nice old 5 screw M&P

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hello. Very nice pistol. With the shrouded ejector rod and it being a .38 Special I might think it's a Heavy Duty 38/44. Someone who knows more than me will be along shortly with better information. Very nice looking pistol though.

·
Premium Member
18,749 Posts
Welcome to The Forum from the Wiregrass! Cha-ching! That's a pre-war 38 - 44 heavy duty. These guns were created to shoot the 38 High Velocity round. That was a car body penetrating round that preceded the 357 Magnum. They were made for police work in the days that car bodies and body armor were used extensively by the mafia and other gangs. There's a whole website devoted to these guns. Search on 38-44 heavy duty and you will find it.

Guy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow you guys are Fast And Good. My Fav gun right now for daily is S&W 9m Ez. I have more steel in my wrist and arm than the gun I bet. Great Gun. Now to do the silly paperwork Monday. Background check and such (hey I follow rules or it bothers me). Sure glad I did not find anything like Live Ordance in this old Marine's House. I did find some 50 cal and ammo of every type. Going thru Sheriff's dept to see who can fire it. If I knew I would have kept the box of 60 year old 38 special I gave them. Wonder if it still fires?

·
Premium Member
18,749 Posts
Old ammo is collectible, particularly the boxes. And boxes with ammo in it can sell for in the hundreds of dollars. I'm sorry you live in a totalitarian state. We find having to register with the gendarmes abhorrent.

Guy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old ammo is collectible, particularly the boxes. And boxes with ammo in it can sell for in the hundreds of dollars. I'm sorry you live in a totalitarian state. We find having to register with the gendarmes abhorrent.

Guy
Yes Quite a Number of Rules and Regs. One of them was strange like 32cal rimfire. Several boxes of 22lr marked .54 cents. yea I can afford those. The 38 special was in paper box along with 22lr. I snagged about 50 rounds of 30 Carbine ammo (my gopher plinker). If I knew my gunshop wanted some 50 cal he would have had it. But he knows Sheriff and will get it thru him I hope.

·
Premium Member
18,749 Posts
32 Cal rimfire is impossible to find any more. Every cartridge is worth many dollars.

Guy

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
18,749 Posts
By the way, if you go to the 38 - 44 heavy duty website, please send the owner of that site information on your gun. He maintains a database on these handguns and can share that information widely. It helps The Collector Community immensely to have more information.

Guy

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the 32 was corroded and like OLD. Never seen any like that before. Pretty sure some of the Deputies will find home for it. it was all going into Dumpster.

·
Premium Member
18,749 Posts
That's really too bad. I hope somebody resurrects it.

Guy

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wow you guys are Fast And Good. My Fav gun right now for daily is S&W 9m Ez. I have more steel in my wrist and arm than the gun I bet. Great Gun. Now to do the silly paperwork Monday. Background check and such (hey I follow rules or it bothers me). Sure glad I did not find anything like Live Ordance in this old Marine's House. I did find some 50 cal and ammo of every type. Going thru Sheriff's dept to see who can fire it. If I knew I would have kept the box of 60 year old 38 special I gave them. Wonder if it still fires?
Depending on how it's stored ammo can remain useable for a very long time. Wish I had been smarter about the surplus ammo sold by the thousands of rounds at a time that I passed up because it was so available. It's been all but dried up and unavailable for a while now, all that 8mm Mauser, 30.06 and 7.62 x 54R was from WWII and it worked great any time I shot it. Wish I had bought a lot more.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
"Quite a number or rules and regs".... sounds like my state, California.

Are those the original grips numbered to the gun? If so, they're in great shape!

Reactions: Stephen Dawson

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's really too bad. I hope somebody resurrects it.

Guy
Me too. Gunshop will at least sell it to person who will try. Why is my Question? Makes it Illegal Gun now. But it's 100 years old. Pretty good shape except for the chop job. Sloppy job on stock. Varnish on the barrel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Quite a number or rules and regs".... sounds like my state, California.

Are those the original grips numbered to the gun? If so, they're in great shape!
Yes, in another box full of Grips. Not for this guy. One of them Mother of Peal. I can post pics tomorrow. What they fit I don't have a clue. Plus some very small magazines. I think S&W. Will post them too

1 - 20 of 27 Posts