Smith And Wesson Forums banner

I Value Your Opinion.

8K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Adirondacker 
#1 ·
I really want to know what the forum thinks about my idea. I have been considering for some time now changing my EDC gun to a 22 Magnum. I am looking at the S&W 351C seven shot. I haven’t been able to find a speed loader for this gun but I’m sure I can locate something. What do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you think shooting a perp with a .22 may just piss them off mate? Not sure if that’ll work versus a .9mm ? Just my o2 mate..

Paul

#3 ·
Once upon a time I saw a man who carried a stainless steel S&W .22 Magnum in his hip pocket. Pretty little gun. Only six shots. But, at the distance one would normally use such pistols, that thing looked like it would do the business. With seven shots ... figure the pistol you are looking at would be just a little bit better. Only a fool would just stand and receive if and when you decided to send the mail with that little thumper. Pick a good load that suits your needs. It'll do just fine. Lots and lots of unhappy situations have been sorted out with handguns of such size and throw weight. Sincerely. bruce.

#4 ·
I personally recommend 9mm or larger.

#5 ·
If you are getting older (like me), it is better than nothing. BOthers here can focus on ballistics, etc.

I am back from a .45 ACP, 9mm, .38, etc.

From my simpleton perspective, carry what you can tolerate.

A .22 mag in a headshot, is likely better than a .44mag in the foot.

Settled in on a 1911 Kimber with laser. 3”.

Carry what works for you. Low recoil .45 ACP works here.

#6 ·
While not the best choice, it is much better than harsh words

#7 ·
IMNVHO The .22 magnum is the most underrated handgun cartridge. Flatter shooting & better penetration than even a .357 magnum it's a great hunting or survival round & way outperforms it's size. My 351PD is in my survival pack. It's the choice of poachers. For the uninformed it's not a stretched .22lr but has a larger bullet & case. Now having said all that I don't recommend it for defense, there's a big difference between killing power & stopping power, stopping a drug crazed idiot @ 5' is way different from knocking down a javelina, deer, etc..

#8 ·
I lost a very dear friend to an accidental shooting. He was killed when his pistol discharged when he was going down a flight of stairs, slipped, fell and then shot himself in the head
It was done with a Beretta Tomcat pistol in 22 LR. He was dead before he hit the bottom of the stairwell.

The minuscule 22 LR has taken more game in the world, including Elephant. It is the choice of poachers because it is quiet, and very deadly.
Even the Swamp people in Louisiana hunt Gators with 22 LR guns, both rifles, and pistols.
Do not ever underestimate the deadly capacity of the 22 caliber guns and ammo. Make it a 22 magnum, and it's even more deadly.

Regards,
Gearchecker

#9 ·
As a note. I have a wife with Parkinson’s disease. A .380 is not my first choice. Showed her three methods to reduce effort to rack the little Sig. It is hard for her. But, settled in over various revolvers. The 20 gage fills the gap at home. Along with four dogs and security system. Do.. what works.

#10 ·
As others have noted, .22LR and .22mag are certainly capable of lethal performance. There are, however, a few considerations for a personal defense tool:

First, rimfire cartridges are inherently less reliable in ignition than centerfire primers. This is somewhat mitigated with a double action revolver, where you simply pull the trigger again if it fails to go bang.

Second, most of the .22mag's performance comes from velocity. You're not going to get that velocity out of a 2" barrel... in addition, most of that lost velocity just becomes excessive muzzle blast/flash, which is detrimental in a defensive gun.

Third, IIRC the muzzle energy of a .22mag, even out of medium length handgun barrels, is under 200ft/lbs. A typical 9mm by comparison, is over 300 ft/lbs. Muzzle energy isn't everything, but damage is damage, and you need to do enough to shut down an attacker, either mentally or physically.

A .22 mag you have with you is still better than the .45 you left at home, but I would recommend at minimum a .38spl revolver over a rimfire for defensive purposes. You will also have a much greater variety of ammo choices in a .38 spl.

#12 ·
I think it would help if we knew why you are considering this move. I am on the " if its what you can shoot and carry its way better than something you cant shoot or carry" . Sure enough everyone cites the drugged out crack junkie that doesn't feel a thing, but you are probably more likely to run into someone where just letting them know you have one is sufficient to make the threat go away

#13 ·
Sure enough everyone cites the drugged out crack junkie that doesn't feel a thing, but you are probably more likely to run into someone where just letting them know you have one is sufficient to make the threat go away
FAR more likely! "The threat" isn't likely to try calculating how many foot-pounds of energy is in your hand. And while there is much to be said for ridding the earth permanently of such "threats," you'd better have a way of proving to the cops (or disposing of the corpse) that it was him or you. The cost of a good lawyer will ruin anyone who isn't filthy rich.

#15 ·
My main concern would be muzzle flash in a dim light situation, but that might actually work both ways. Some newer .22 mag ammo is supposed to be optimized for short barrels.
If I had to shoot, yes, I would prefer something larger but much of the time simply having a gun gets the bad guy to back off. I am considering something along the same lines as the OP for times when weight and size might be an issue.

#21 · (Edited)
Bob and Hank have it right. The one you have and bullet placement. I worked very many shootings in my LE career. Two examples, a woman with a Raven .25 shot a man in the chest who was coming at her with a tire tool, he never took another step. I had a gangbanger take 5 .40 S&W to the torso and was in my office two days later giving me a statement. There was no way to count the number of staples he had, it looked like a road map. I'll add, practice with what you carry. Practice like you live day to day( SAFELY), seated, from cover, buy an old gym bag, purse, coat, etc. Shoot through it to mimic real life to know what will happen. Ive rambled enough.

Oh! I like the .22 magnum. If interested always check the ballistics by the inch website to get an idea of .22 mag in a 2" barrel.

#24 · (Edited)
22mag shot from a 2in barrel is blowing a lot of unburned powder out the muzzle. BBTI indicates velocities will be around 900fps. You'll get an extraordinary loud BANG but a slow bullet exiting the muzzle. The 22mag begins gaining steam with a 5in barrel around 1400-1500fps. If ya got a .22lr snub revolver, old Remington 36gr Golden Bullets or Stingers will perform about the same.

Might take a look at the below before making a final decision.

Happy rimfire hunting.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Calibers/Cartridges

#26 ·
I thank everyone for the comments and recommendations. I am 99 percent certain that I am going to buy the gun. I am not certain that I will use it for my EDC. There’s really no reason that I can’t continue to carry my current 7 shot 357 Magnum. Maybe men are like women. We like to change guns like they like to change shoes. Except Wendy. She likes to change both.

#28 ·
#30 ·
Looks like the 22 magnum beat the 25 auto pretty much across the board as far as penetration goes. I would put that over any kind of expansion any day. If it doesn't go deep enough, it doesn't really matter how big it expands to

Reactions: 1av8r
#31 ·
Some years ago I carried a Walther P22 (22lr) with CCI Velocitor because of its penetration characteristics. At the time, it was the only "small" concealable handgun I owned. Not the perfect solution, but far better than nothing. My wife used to carry a 351PD (22 mag). When I needed to carry something "deep", I didn't hesitate to borrow it for a day in the office. I think I was carrying a Fiocchi load at the time, but don't recall exactly which one. I remember in both clases, I was researching for penetration because that's all you got going for you.

Reactions: TennSharpshooter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.