Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought theses from a WWII vet 20 yrs ago. He told me that he had bought these pulled AP rounds , weighed them, pulled the 50 closest in weight and was selling the rest. I bought them to help him out, but I have no need for them , then or now. The bullets will stick to a magnet, so steel core, not lead. That’s all I know. All the AP I’ve used in the past had a black tip. These don’t. Anybody know what I have? They are.308, about 164 grains. Thought I’d package them up, maybe a 100 in a zip-lock, and sell them, here or GunBroker. Hank
j

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
AP should have a black tip but that doesn't mean some couldn't have been made without........I've just never heard of it.

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
Find a friend to load one or two of them and shoot them at a steel plate you really don't care much about. You'll find out quickly if they're AP or not.
I think the bullet weight is too low for AP bullets, but I've been known to be wrong a few times in my life.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
AP would have a hardened steel core or penetrator. It may be like those 62gr green tip 5.56 bullets with a mild steel core inside lead, inside a jacket. They provide for better penetration but technically arent AP

·
Registered
696 Posts
I believe AP ammo has a tungsten carbide tip. I've heard of machinists harvesting the tips for use in center punches and scribes.

Hector

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, jonesy, I have some experience with 1/4” steel plate with .222 Remington. That was probably 55 years ago. Looked like you center punched it and drilled it! I have a pair of floor plates out of and asphalt paving machine. I’ll measure them . They’re back- to - back, double thickness. They’re hardened wear plate. I don’t know where that puts them in relation to armor plate. They may be more brittle. Hank

·
Registered
416 Posts
As was said above, Its not uncommon for a magnet to stick to Military FMJ bullets, but that does not necessarily mean they are AP.
I would sacrifice one bullet and cut it in half with a dremel tool or something like that. It should be easy enough to tell then, as the true AP will have a hard center core, like a short rod, and a file will not touch it, and the regular FMJ just a lead core.
I have a couple hundred rounds of 3006 FMJ from the late 40's. They were in pretty bad cosmetic condition, and pre 1953 so corrosive primed. I broke them down, and saved the bullets, loaded them into modern cases, and new 4895 powder, for use in my Garand. A magnet will stick to them, but they are not AP. They weigh in the 150 grain range, and are flat based.
Earlier ammo, such as what your bullets came from were from the Pre- Garand WW2, and were boat tail, and weigh in the range of what your bullets do, so I suspect your's are from this era.
Bullet weight was reduced when the Garand was in the development phase, in an effort to make it easier on the new rifles. The Garand, was was not quite as tough as the 03's and Pattern 17 rifles were.

Regular FMJ ammo in the 3006 with go through mild steel plate up to about 3/8 inch thick at close range, so the steel test may not yield the results you expect.
Has some WW2 era 8mm mauser AP ammo once, when I was way... younger, and dumber. We shot it up pretty quickly, and had fun with it. We noticed that it would at 50 - 75 yards go through an "I" beam that a bit under 3/4 thick but heavier than 1/2 inch. I wont say for sure how thick, as this was years ago, and I dont remember for sure. I do remember it was over 1/2 inch, and we were impressed, as the holes looked like they were drilled.. I would not shoot at anything like that today, but at 18 - 20 my judgement was not always perfect.

Reactions: Rule3

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
I made my own with oil hard drill rod and 308 HPBT bullets. Nice to have the machines to bore the pills and insert the hardened drill rod with a press fit. I only did 50 though, quite involved. I have a pile of LAP 223 rounds for PPBA penetration.

The 308's will do an AR 500 plate at 50 yards no problem.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
As was said above, Its not uncommon for a magnet to stick to Military FMJ bullets, but that does not necessarily mean they are AP.
I would sacrifice one bullet and cut it in half with a dremel tool or something like that. It should be easy enough to tell then, as the true AP will have a hard center core, like a short rod, and a file will not touch it, and the regular FMJ just a lead core.
I have a couple hundred rounds of 3006 FMJ from the late 40's. They were in pretty bad cosmetic condition, and pre 1953 so corrosive primed. I broke them down, and saved the bullets, loaded them into modern cases, and new 4895 powder, for use in my Garand. A magnet will stick to them, but they are not AP. They weigh in the 150 grain range, and are flat based.
Earlier ammo, such as what your bullets came from were from the Pre- Garand WW2, and were boat tail, and weigh in the range of what your bullets do, so I suspect your's are from this era.
Bullet weight was reduced when the Garand was in the development phase, in an effort to make it easier on the new rifles. The Garand, was was not quite as tough as the 03's and Pattern 17 rifles were.

Regular FMJ ammo in the 3006 with go through mild steel plate up to about 3/8 inch thick at close range, so the steel test may not yield the results you expect.
Has some WW2 era 8mm mauser AP ammo once, when I was way... younger, and dumber. We shot it up pretty quickly, and had fun with it. We noticed that it would at 50 - 75 yards go through an "I" beam that a bit under 3/4 thick but heavier than 1/2 inch. I wont say for sure how thick, as this was years ago, and I dont remember for sure. I do remember it was over 1/2 inch, and we were impressed, as the holes looked like they were drilled.. I would not shoot at anything like that today, but at 18 - 20 my judgement was not always perfect.

Yep, cut one open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts