Smith And Wesson Forums banner

I read alot about the newer 500s but,

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  S.B. 
#1 ·
doesn't anybody shoot the newer .460s? Let's hear some of your experiences, please? Just the thought of digesting .460s, .454 Casuals, and .45 Colt(all three are very effective hunting rounds) turns my motor over
Steve

#2 ·
I haven't shot one, but a friend at work has had one since last winter and swears by it. That 460 really moves!

#3 ·
Hello
I had Mixed emotions on the Purchase of the 500, due to massive recoil and Lower availability of Bullet weights shot in them but when they came out with the Newer .460 it really caught my eye due to the use of different rounds in it. Soon after It's release, I thought I Just had to have one of them, Then I started reading some Bad press on severe flame cutting & Barrel errosion Problem of the new .460 round in the X-Frame revolver. I know S&W called back the P. C. Models for some engineering changes to help improve the durability of the Flame Cutting & Barrel errosion issue, but I never heard if the standard issue 460's had the same issues ? I really don't know how they will get around this issue as the round is Rated at 65,000 P.S.I. and I have seen Competition Barrels errode with less pressures. I heard they Installed a Stainless steel shim above the forcing cone to eliminate the flame cutting, which seem's Like Putting a Band-Aide over a sever cut. Back when they first had this problem in 2005 they claimed that within 200-300 rounds of firing the .460 Barrels would be Erroded from the extreme High pressures of the round and have to be replaced But I have Not Heard much since they first came out, but like you would like to hear any new up-Dates on them to insure durability of them before I make a purchase of one...Let's hop that someone that has Purchased one of the newer Model's will Chime in here on it ? Hammerdown

#5 ·
Hammerdown, I just bought a John Ross 500 without recoil reducing compensator on it and actual recoil is not what's published. Mine you it does recoil as would be expected but, nothing like so called gun experts would have you believe. As far as limited bullets, I bought a 500 grain Mountain Molds(you actully design the mold you'ld like to have) mold and am thinking of another in 725 grains? Also, you could choose the lite for caliber 275 grain Corbons? Just scratching the surface of reloading with this caliber but, hope to get things up to speed in '10. Really like the gun and caliber.
Choose wisely son?

My $.02
Steve

#6 ·
...not to highjack the thread here, re: flame cutting

About 25 years ago Ruger introduced a new design "357 MAXIMUM" which had many IHMSA shooters in a lather with the ballistic advantages.

The model soon failed due to an unresolved issue with 'flame cutting' despite a number of factory remedies.

Now the only 357 Maximum guns you see are the infrequent collector model changing hands.

If 'flame cutting' is truly an issue with the 460 we can only hope some improved technology can resolve it.

#8 ·
I've read elsewhere on the net the flame cutting is attributed to certain Hpdgdon powders hand loaders use? I haven't heard much from John Ross for a while(hope he is well?) but, when I bought mine he mentioned he planned on a .460 to match and I could purchase the same serial number as my 500 from him?
Steve

#7 ·
Top strap flame cutting has been discussed on several forums over the years and seems to have been address by S&W with the addition of the little flame block on their 329s. Always thought flame cutting stop at an unknow point and didn't cause any mechanical problems? Are you interjecting that the 500 or 460s have flame cutting on their top straps instead of the barrel throat errosion problems mentioned on several forums on the 460s?
If I'm wrong, please correct me and offer proof of you hypothesis?
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.