Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started carrying, and practicing, with a 686 Plus 2.5, which I purchase new in '94. After owning it a while I wanted to look inside. I knew I was suppose to rap the grip frame to remove the plate which I did. However, it was so tight I was only able to get it to rise a bit. Instead of pressing it back down and stopping I helped it off with a gentle prying. Sure enough, although I do not have the telltale deformation from plate prying, I did open up the seam slightly at the top near the hammer, and at the curve above the trigger. With the naked eye the gap is not visible, the seam is just darker where the gap is; with a 10x loupe the gap in the seam is visible. Here is my question: how much have I weakened my pistol? Everyone says not to pry, and I agree (I no longer open my guns up anyway), but no one ever talks about the effects or consequences, beyond deformation, of prying off the plate. So, what do you think. Is the pistol appreciably weaker? Will accuracy be affected? Will the life of the gun be shorter? I've researched the extensively and can find no answers. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
As the forces transfer to the frame through the screws, you didn't weaken the gun.

But don't pry the sideplate again. 😬

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You did not hurt your weapon, only your feelings. Getting the side plate off of a S&W is easy. Take the grips off. Remove all the side plate screws remembering what holes they came out of. Take a RUBBER handled screwdriver and gently hit the bottom of the frame with the rubber end of the screwdriver. It will loosen and continue to rap the frame until the side plate falls off. Put it back on gently with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just for peeps that may come and look at the thread later ... I had one side plate that was particularly stuck
and
Still Just by whacking the grip frame with the rubber end of my klien screw driver it popped up. I tap the grip frame on the right side or the side that the side plate is on and I do it near the bottom of the frame as it acts like a tuning fork. Havent taken off side plates a ton but the 8 to 10 or so times I have .. worked every time.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Just for peeps that may come and look at the thread later ... I had one side plate that was particularly stuck
and
Still Just by whacking the grip frame with the rubber end of my klien screw driver it popped up. I tap the grip frame on the right side or the side that the side plate is on and I do it near the bottom of the frame as it acts like a tuning fork. Havent taken off side plates a ton but the 8 to 10 or so times I have .. worked every time.
Yep, thats what I was trying to say

1 - 11 of 11 Posts