Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 19-5 and the cylinder will not open. When the release button is pushed, the cylinder loosens but will not roll out. The pin that locks the cylinder in place and is also part of the casing extractor seems to be holding the cylinder in.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and does anyone have a solution?

Thank you for your help

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,036 Posts
Like Jonesy said, your ejector needs to be lightly tightened. Still not working?

Unscrew it gently since it has a spring. Clean and lubricate. I had an older K-22 that had worn-out spring.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Isn't it great when there is such a straightforward and simple solution? Many good people here, ready and willing to help.

5 years ago my new-to-me Model 10-5 had the same "stuck cylinder" problem. After doing all the normal problem solving, like checking the ejector rod, etc. etc. it turned out that she is made so tight that the slightest hint of a high primer locks her up TIGHT.

I wound up having to check every single .38 special reload that hubby did for me and separate the ones with no wobble at all when placed on a completely flat surface. Those became "Rosie food." Yep, her name is Rosie because I bought her the same day my best friend's first granddaughter was born. A couple dozen years from now (or maybe sooner) she will actually be passed along to the real Emma ROSE.

And what happened to the rounds that are not Rosie Food? My trust 686 .357 snubbie eats them like candy!

All is well.

·
Registered
31,561 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad you got the model 19 working and that is was an easy fix. Enjoy!

Reactions: jeepnut
1 - 10 of 10 Posts