Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Smith and Wesson Model 36. I'm trying to figure out the year, and the value. i was tryin to sell it for 400, guy was even going to buy it, until this morning when he told me "they don't make stainless steel model 36, it was probably blued, than somebody cleared off the bluing and polished it."

makes sense, except I'm 99% sure it's nickel plated, I never once claimed it was stainless steel.

when I told him that it's nickel plated, he said that I need to do my research more, an that this gun is worth between 600-1200..I just don't see that being true. Is it? I figured I had a pretty good price up there, fair for me and the consumer. was I wrong? I appreciate the help everybody!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Im no expert, but I been looking at a few on Gunbroker, and in decent shape range has been 350.00 to bout 500.00, tho I have seen some mint ones for alot more. Somebody who knows more than me will be along soon im sure. Mike.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the friendly forum. There are no stainless model 36's, the stainless version was the model 60. Nickel finish 36's were produced by the factory & worth slightly more than blued. It looks like a nickel model 36 to me & is worth what you are asking.

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Those target grips are not original to the gun. Take off the grips and give us the SN from the bottom of the grip frame. While you have the bare frame exposed, look on the bottom left side of the frame and see if there is an N stamped there. From what I see, it appears to be a nickel gun that could use some polishing with Mother's Mag or Flitz. I feel you have the gun priced appropriately.

S&W did have a SS version of the Chiefs Special. They called it the Model 60. Your gun is obviously stamped Model 36, so it is not SS.

(Ha! Injunbro beat me to it.)

Reactions: coiler666

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Well son of a gun, I was bout near right on the price , you smart fellers like Guy must be rubbin off on me:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Surprisingly fast response haha! I'm at lunch break at work right now, so I'll have to wait and get back to you about the serial number on the handle, I had a strong feeling it was a different grip, didn't seem square enough and slightly bigger. as for the N, I recall one being stamped into the cylinder, would that be it? or is that referring only to the cylinder itself.

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
If it is on the cylinder, it is an original nickel gun. Check the SN on the cylinder against the gun butt and they should match. There may even be a matching SN under the ejector rod on the bottom of the barrel.

I ain't smart, Mike (wife agrees)...just have reference to a decent library.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
DSCF0380 (640x480).jpg

this is what a newer model 36 in nickel looks like. the way i see your pics it needs a good polishing. your info and all the others is right on target and i think the retail price on mine in the classics section was about 845.00 two years ago

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
The serial number is stamped on the base of the butt.
It may also be stamed on the back face of the cylinder. Some are marked ther, others aren't. The butt is the only one that really counts.
The number on the crane is an assembly number and has no real value to identification or dating the shipping dates.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
Your guns SN starts with a "J" and it was shipped (SWAG) between 1982 and 1988.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts