Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I think about guns that I once owned and for reasons I don't understand now I let slip from my greedy grasp.

I once simultaneously owned a trio of 29-2s, one in each of the common barrel lengths. All were near perfect and all were in the wooden case. I can sort of understand selling the long one, but having a 4" M29 sounds so desirable right now that I can't believe I had one and let it go.

A buddy traded me a perfect nickel 6" M29-2 for something or other and I wound up trading it in on a Colt Anaconda. Oh my God I don't know what I was thinking. I can't believe people now pay $800 for those clunkers. I was so disgusted with mine I sold it at a loss within a year but that shiny 29 was gone forever. The horror.

In the early 1980s I came into a model 28 (no recollection of exactly which model) with a 4" barrel, smooth trigger and the first set of factory finger-groove stocks I ever saw. Sold within a year (sounds of me slapping myself).

In late 1970s bought a brand new 25-2. It was beautiful. But I was into magnum power at the time and I found this big, heavy gun such a pussycat with 45 ACPs that I thought it wimpy and sold it.

Around 1975 I picked up a well worn 1917 for $90 at a pawn shop. Shot it a bit and decided I was too sophisticated to own such a warhorse and sold it. Somebody kick me in the ass, please.

These are just some of the Smiths that leap to mind when I think about guns I should have kept. There's a heap of Colts I let go (like a pair of 4 & 3/4" SAAs, one from 1894 and the other an unfired 2G for $300 each!!!).

Man, I gotta stop thinking about depressing things like this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For about 20 years or so, guns were a means of exchange for me. I had the opportunity for a lot of very nice guns as I was in the business, but unfortunately I didnt have the pocketbook. Subsequently, if I found something I wanted, I had to sell or trade something I had to get it...and usually lost on the deal.
I have let go over 100 Colt SAA's and more than 40 Smith 44mags with a good portion of those pre-model guns. In my lifetime I have probably owned well over 1000 guns (some for only minutes) and numerous others I could never afford to replace even though I have a great job now.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I saw the light on that years ago and wont get rid of any gun I have aquired in the last 25 years. I let a ex wife keep my buying on hold for a long time and realy regret that could have a lot of the guns I wanted for a lot less than they are now.

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Luckily, I have never got rid of a Smith........yet. :roll: Oh, I've traded my Rugers, Savages, Remingtons and what not, but it was to get Smiths! ;)

Now, I'm considering trading my 4" M-10 HB, that's been D&T'd to mount a Red Dot, for a nice sporterized Mauser. I don't shoot it much, anymore, but then again, I wouldn't shoot the .30-06 Mauser much either. I've always been looking for a nice sporterized Springfield or Mauser in .30-06. I've seen some nice ones, but for a rediculously high prices!!!! Are they really worth $1000-$2000 ? Not to me!!!!

I'll let you guys know what happens, probably in the next few weeks. I'm also considering joining the Easthampton Gun Club in Southampton. They are very active, but smaller, and are more oriented to Trap and Skeet. (Maybe I'll learn to shoot a shotgun!!!! :eek: :lol: ) It'll make me MUCH MORE active in the shooting sports. ;) Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My one S&W regret was trading off the NIB 6" 19-4 that I bought from a client of mine for $300. It was that Smith that started my addiction to revolvers. I had others before, but this one was my first NIB example and it had the deep, dark, beautiful blue that some examples have.

Well, I decided that I just couldn't shoot a NIB model 19 so I traded for a...gulp...4506. :roll: The .45 is long gone too, and you know what the guy did with my 19-4? Yup, he shot it...a lot. I decided then and there that I will never own a safe queen. If it is in my possesion, I'm shooting it. Lesson learned. ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey Doc, everyone does it. I let my whole collection go recently and I'm definitely feeling it. I have been buying knives to fill the gaps but nothing is an N frame. Nothing beats an N frame. James

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Cush, Guns are made to be shot! If you buy a brand new gun.....you shoot it, don't you? I feel the same way about a NIB S&W! I usually get them NIB for a used, lower price then a new S&W. So .....what's the problem? AAAAHHHH......collecters. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I still have most of the Smiths I've even puchased.... My friend Micheal Stern once quipped that the door to my safe only swung inward. Wish I could say the same for my wallet....

I did loose a few of my guns in my divorce 14 years ago, but tracted down and repurchased the ones I wanted back. In some cases years later.

The first K-22 I ever had did get away from me however, a 5-screw in the K3,000 range and I've been atoning ever since..... among other things, I have become a shameless K-22 hoarder.

·
Registered
668 Posts
re: "I let a ex wife keep my buying on hold for a long time"

New wives are a bargain compared to what ex wives cost....

In celebration of SP's Day of Cleansing of Past Stupid Things We've All Done, here's a few that got away from me:

A marvelous brace of 8 3/8": 38 special I paid $200 at a police auction in 98% condition; and a matching 17 gleaned from a bad debt recovery;

A 4 digit Colt SAA with the absolute best action I've ever felt; cosmetics about 60% but shot like 150%....well, it was stolen but I suffered the loss on a very deep level;

My first Colt commander 30 years ago;

Pristine Diamondback 22 4"....

A pair of pre 1900 Colt SAA 45s;

2nd gen Colt SAA 44 special, very accurate and excellent in all ways...well, at least friend got it....

A Browning Traditional Hunter 45-70 for what seemed like a profit but now is a laughably-naive price....

High Standard 10X 22 match pistol....OK, so I came out on that pretty good, paired with a Citation Fluted 7 1/2" as a big hunk of down payment on an office building....still I miss them...

Maybe others but these leap to mind in review of the above lists....

:( :oops: collective sound of one hand smacking foreheads :roll: :oops: ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Haven't sold a gun in over twenty years.

The last gun I let get away was a Colt Commander in .38 Super. I swore I'd never do that again. I'm pretty good at swearing. I'm even better at keeping my promises.

That is not to say I haven't given away a few. That's a horse of a different color. Those guns I don't miss or regret having let them go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My list here would be endless,so I'll give just one example. To finance my only child's honeymoon to Maui,I sold my 3" Pythons. THREE of them! perkgfn thepuke
f.t.

·
Registered
723 Posts
To get through hard times, I had to let go of 2 of my Blackhawks, a Model 10 cream puff, Taurus PT99 and my P90 terminator! :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate NEEDING to sell guns, like during hard times or for something special. But I never sold a gun due to a crisis situation. I just let them go because I thought I wanted something else or because I thought I was tired of them.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
One thing is guns dont lose there value.Take a gun you dont want any more and set it aside.Figure out the real value of your boring gun and put that exact amount in a savings account.Wait ten years with draw the savings and sell the gun.
Do the math and the interest you earned on the cash wont come close to the value of the gun now.
You would have been better off to buy another boring gun just like it and let it sit in the safe to.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Onenut, your math and figuring is right on, the only problem is after 10 years I'd probably still not sell them! I don't have near as many guns as folks on this forum, but except for giving some away to family and friends, I've not sold any, it just doesn't "feel" right.

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
I've never had any type of a collectible gun, just nice more common types of guns. I don't think that I 've done better than break even, on a few private sales. On trades, with gunshops, I can't believe just how low they value your gun, and expect top dollar for theres. :eek: I did this a few times with my Ruger Std. .22 Auto's, my Savage .22, and a Savage single shot, that I let go for a song, because I lusted for some shiny new model.

I haven't traded a gun in years, I keep them, and just add to the pile. So far, I have every S&W that I ever bought, but I might let one, a 4" M-10 that I don't shoot much anymore, go. The sporterized Springfield '03 or Mauser '98 has been on my "to get" list for many years. I have located a sporterized Mauser for a good price. I may offere an even swap for the M-10. Or.....I may just get the cash. We'll see what developes. kfjdrfirii Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Two went out the door today...no regrets however.

I traded a Ruger 45 Colt OM Birdshead and a .22 Cal CZ rifle in a lux addition for a Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock target sighted in .54 Cal. The Ruger was beautiful to behold, but I couldn't regulate it to hit the side of a barn from the inside :mrgreen: ...And the CZ was a tackdriver...but easily replaced.

So no regrets, this time...

giz

·
Registered
90 Posts
Guys,
Ya'll should be put against the wall...& be SHOT!! Mr.K...are you sure you want to get rid of that sweetheart?? Jam...."DON"T...get into the knives collecting thing.....trust me,YOU don't WANT TO DO THIS!Guns ...yes...Knives..NO!!.
jIM

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I've lost track of ALL the "bad" gun trades over the years.

One of the most memoriable was a mint .45 ACP 1917 Colt with original half flap calvary hoster.

I bought it out of an estate sale for $250 and a year later sold it to a lawyer friend who couldn't live without it for the same $250.

Six months later the holster alone fetched $400 on an internet auction site and Collector's arms has guns in that condition going for $1,500-$2,500.

Live and learn... mc9fn

·
Registered
4 Posts
About three years ago I decided to sell some of the guns that I didn't shoot very often and/or used expensive or hard to find ammo. This was when 100 packs of 9mm could be bought for $11 and bulk packs of 22s were less than $10. I eliminated eight types of ammo (.22 mag, .22 jet mag, .380, .38 super, .41 mag, .44 special, .45 colt & 10mm) and 27 guns in those calibers. In today's market, those guns would have sold for more than double the price that I received.
Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts