Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a M&p 9mm concealed carry for an EDC and did the routine initial cleaning and oiling, it’s not difficult it’s 4 pieces.
Go to put it back together and the barrel absolutely refuses to line up inside the gun. I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong and could really use some help. Thanks for any insight!

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
It doesn't look like it's in straight to me,wiggle it.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Welcome to the forum, just keep working with it you will learn just make sure RSA is properly set in the notch. There are videos on you tube on field stripping S&W pistols

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust I spent almost 2 hours Yesterday, never had an issue at all with any other gun but this one. The videos on YouTube are just like drop it in. This is just dropped in, wiggled, moved, blah I’m banging my head into the wall here

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Without the recoil spring in place, the barrel should drop in at a shallow angle, level with the inside of the receiver and then draw back so you can put the barrel into battery (with the chamber end of the barrel against the breech face of the slide). This should leave the barrel flat along the inside of the receiver, with the front of the muzzle level with the front of the receiver.

If the barrel is inset behind the face of the slide, someone swapped the barrel in the store, or the wrong length barrel was installed in your pistol.

Only when the barrel is correctly in place should you attempt to install the recoil spring.

Marc

·
Premium Member
17,239 Posts
That barrel definitely looks too short for the slide. I would take it to the dealer or send a picture of the barrel installed in the slide to S&W and see what they think. The barrel must rest against the breech and extend through the front of the slide.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
View attachment 473386 View attachment 473387 So I picked up a M&p 9mm concealed carry for an EDC and did the routine initial cleaning and oiling, it’s not difficult it’s 4 pieces.
Go to put it back together and the barrel absolutely refuses to line up inside the gun. I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong and could really use some help. Thanks for any insight!
Did it look like your top pic when you picked it up, or was it normal looking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I honestly didn’t check it when I picked it up. It racked fine and seemed alright but I didn’t look too closely. First experience ordering a gun online and going through an ffl. My other guns were bought in Texas.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
If it racked fine, then I would suspect you missed something in reassembly; otherwise, the other info about a wrong barrel could be the culprit

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Without the springs installed, does the barrel sit down in the milled notch of the receiver? If so, how far is the muzzle end of the barrel from the end of the receiver? It should line up pretty close. The springs only keep it compressed that way in order for it to work as designed for a proper eject/extract cycle. If the barrel is obviously short laying in the receiver with no springs in the equation, something is fishy with your configuration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m going to bring it in to the ffl shop I had it shipped too and have the guys look at it just to triple check that I’m not completely stupid, and then go from there. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts