Smith And Wesson Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Daryl,
It was five years ago when my 30-year old land line stopped working. I called Bell South to get it fixed (Bell South is now AT&T). After 3 weeks, I finally just dropped it.

I hope you get better service than I did.

My land line was $35 + long distance calls. My current cell phone is $50 with unlimited free long distance charges.
Yeah... I remember the good old days when we were paying well over $100/mo for two landlines (one for a dedicated fax). As scanning and e-mail became more routine we dropped the extra line for the fax, and eventually dropped landline phone service shortly after iPhone4 was introduced about a decade ago. We pay far less today for far more and better services with smartphones than we did with landlines.

The cost for your smartphone, even at $700, is relatively nothing for what it does and all the gadgets it replaces that folks would otherwise purchase separately.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The cost for your smartphone, even at $700, is relatively nothing for what it does and all the gadgets it replaces that folks would otherwise purchase separately.
Very true .. I have trouble finding my way around the block .. I would most certainly have to spend money on a GPS like I did in the olden early days of flip phones if the new ones didn't come with the ability to add it. So chuck at least a couple few hundred dollars at GPS. Then i had a PDA .. when I still worked outside the house .. that was about $200.

Then a camera around all the time and voice recorder .. yup .. if I had to pay for all the stuff I would like to make my life easier that already comes on a smart phone I would probably be up near $1000

of course the argument could be made that I did those things with maps and notepads and a small tape recorder but .. man its a lot to carry and it is neat having it all in the palm of your hand. Oh .. and you dont want to follow me reading a map!!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I hear ya.

I sure wish I'd always had a camera on me for the past 40 years like I've had for the past 10 years with a smartphone. Missed the opportunity to capture a lot of great moments in my younger years.

Used to have two shoe boxes full of 8-track tapes in the back seat of my car. Nearly ran off the road more than once trying to grab a tape while driving :D. Then I had the privilege of replacing everything with cassette (at least it only filled one shoe box). Then I had the privilege of replacing everyting with CDs. Then I dabbled with Sony's mini-disc for a while. Now I carry every album and song on planet Earth in my iPhone. Finally...

Several years ago my granddaughter asked me "What's that star in the sky grandpa?". Simply took out my iPhone, opened the stargazer App and held it to that part of the night sky. That right there paid for the phone.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I forgot all about the music player. Yup have every bit of music I have ever bought on my phone ...but ... I am pretty sure I am THRILLED everyone didn't have a camera in my teens and as a young adult!!!!!! Whew! :)

And VIDEO! oh hell no

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have 2 daughters ages 13 and 15. Neither on has a phone yet. We will get the oldest one a phone when she gets her drivers license. Surprisingly the youngest really has no desire yet for a phone. They stay plenty busy with school, sports and chores here at the ranch.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yeah... I remember the good old days when we were paying well over $100/mo for two landlines (one for a dedicated fax).
I agree 100% on $100/month. :D

It really was that with the taxes and fees on two lines. My phone bill still has extra government fees, but I only have one line. It was $52.49 last month and now long distance is free, and I get a free app that blocks robo calls (it's called Call Filter).

My son is smarter. He somehow got five people (one is his wife) to do the family and friends thing. It's more like $40/per month.

This is a great Country.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I've been thinking about changing from Android to the iPhone 11. I don't like the Android/Google connection and how invasive Google, for instance, 3 of the 9 trackers on this website are Google...nearly all websites have Google trackers. Fortunately, my security package prevents tracking.

Another reason is that I can't get the Android software to match up with the drone software; for whatever reason.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts