Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,709 Posts
I'm not crazy about having stainless sights. They reflect too much light, and are a pain to use on a bright day. Everything else looks great to me.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Looks better, nice work. If I had one I would probably do the same. I would "slug" the lock. I hate those things. Oh, I have to agree on the black sights with gear checker.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have an older version of the Beretta 92FS ('94) with SS controls as opposed to the newer version that has black controls. Glad I have the older one, looks much better to me. I like your look. And I have a 66-1 6" so I'm with you on the SS opposed to the black. mytwocents

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Another vote for a necessary improvement. The black accents to me just make it look cheaply made.

Reactions: DrDoctor

·
Registered
261 Posts
The hammer and trigger now look great. Will be even better when you get rid of that black thumbpiece and change to stainless. Plug that lock hole and your in business. I like it.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The first issue of Model 66's had stainless sights. Shooters found them hard to see in daylight and complained mightily, me among them. S&W responded with the next issue. From then on, they have been black.

·
Registered
351 Posts
NO comparison - the stainless steel components look great, altho' I have to agree about the black sight. In any case - the gun looks 1,000% better. I'm looking at my 686 right now, and it doesn't look as good as it did 5 minutes ago. Hmmm . . . I sense a call to Brownells in the wind . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where do you get the plug for the lock? I've already removed the actual mechanism, but still have the black keyhole left.

The sight doesn't seemed to be bad inside, but maybe it will be in the sun. Looking in the sight picture, the only part of the front sight I can see is the orange plastic part at the top, then it's ribbed (? it has cuts in it I think to reduce glare, and still has some black in the grooves that wouldn't polish out) on the bottom half of the front sight blade.

S&W made the model 19 classic look similar to the original 19, but I think they dropped the ball on the 66. Even in my before picture was after I had already started trying to make it more like a 66 -it came with this rubber grip/stock. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/43/73/5743734f7f5764ccbf2975fe8f4f77e7.jpg

Thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did the same to my model 69, except for the sights.

I bought a early model stainless thumb piece for it. Never liked the looks of the new style.

I'm wanting to remove the lock and plug the hole, but if I do it will be my first time of even removing a side plate. I guess I couldn't mess it up too bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did the same to my model 69, except for the sights.

I bought a early model stainless thumb piece for it. Never liked the looks of the new style.

I'm wanting to remove the lock and plug the hole, but if I do it will be my first time of even removing a side plate. I guess I couldn't mess it up too bad.
Taking the gun apart is easy.

For the new model Smiths, this is a good video for disassembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5Ydl4hF6U

This is a good one for reassembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAitgzxwWIY

1 - 20 of 26 Posts