·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
I don't own any.

When you consider how much hand fitting is needed on a M1911a1 pistol, it's a cinch that the manufacturers would go where labor is least expensive.

I do know that Imbel of Brazil makes many of the frames and slides for Springfield Armory. The quality of the forgings is fine.

Many people I've talked with about Taurus indicate that there is quite a bit of variance in quality of their handguns. Sometimes you get a good one. Sometimes you get one made Monday first thing in the morning...

Have you handled the new one yet?

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
My Taurus 82 (.38 special 4 inch barrel) revolver has never given me any issues. My 85 (.38 special with 2.5 inch barrel) brook first time at the range. Took Taurus 3 months to replace everything with "trigger" in the description (trigger, trigger guard, trigger spring, etc). No more Taurus for me.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't own any.

When you consider how much hand fitting is needed on a M1911a1 pistol, it's a cinch that the manufacturers would go where labor is least expensive.

I do know that Imbel of Brazil makes many of the frames and slides for Springfield Armory. The quality of the forgings is fine.

Many people I've talked with about Taurus indicate that there is quite a bit of variance in quality of their handguns. Sometimes you get a good one. Sometimes you get one made Monday first thing in the morning...

Have you handled the new one yet?
not yet, but itll be interesting. He ha the normal 3day wait..

thewelshm

·
Registered
330 Posts
I lucked out I guess, I took a shine to that little Taurus View when I saw them for sale on Gun Broker with metal side plates (I guess the clear side plates were troublesome and a bad idea, to say the least) several years ago at reduced prices. I got one and it's been fine, it's clearly the smallest J frameish .38 that you can make and hides well in summer shorts in a Mika pocket holster (he made one specifically for this reduced size).

It's the only one I own, and I wouldn't own it except no one else makes one like that. Their polymer semi autos are the absolute pits, although some claim that the G2 series is a little better.

Their 1911s? I've seen some work. For a while at least...

·
Registered
13,317 Posts

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a RIA 1911 because it was cheaper than a Taurus or any other brand I could fine. It is a great gun. I have 5 other Taurus handguns that have been fine. The newer they are, the better the fit and finish has been.

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
My one and only 1911 is a RIA Tactical II FS. Well built, accurate and underrated in my opinion. ;)

20180315_200144-1.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
20191222_172823.jpg

Just about went for a Rock Island nearly identical to that one, then ran across this Rem R1 Enhanced in a used rack at a Brownell's. They let me have it for about the same as what I would have paid for the Rock Island, so I said why not. I see why the 1911 is such a popular firearm. Fell in love with it first time at the range.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
View attachment 456629

Just about went for a Rock Island nearly identical to that one, then ran across this Rem R1 Enhanced in a used rack at a Brownell's. They let me have it for about the same as what I would have paid for the Rock Island, so I said why not. I see why the 1911 is such a popular firearm. Fell in love with it first time at the range.

I think you made a good choice, I have it’s brother in stainless..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you made a good choice, I have it’s brother in stainless..

Thewelshm
Funny you should say that. My younger brother has a LGS that he has a great relationship with. He happened to mention he might be looking for a 1911 (after shooting mine), this guy says oh, I might have one for you. He has a R1 enhanced in SS. My brother tells him to hold it for him, the shop owner says no problem, he won't even put it in the case. Later, my brother decides he maybe likes the all black version over the stainless, but the LGS is giving him a tremendous deal on it (Like $100 over what I paid for mine). So I told him if he buys the SS gun, we could maybe work something out between us down the road, like maybe a trade with a couple boxes of ammo thrown in to make up the difference. So, who knows, I might end up with the SS version eventually...

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
What's that saying..."Friends don't let friends buy Taurus"?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts