Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got lucky today (actually my luck started a few days back). I have a long time, very good friend and former co-worker contact me for information about pistols (he knows I’m a “gun nut”). He wanted me to help him select a semi-auto, 9 mm for home defense that both he and his petite wife could use easily. He then showed me a Smith revolver he has had for about 10 years that he purchased from his campus police officer when his dept. went to semi-autos. Dan (my friend) sold me his revolver to help with the purchase of a new pistol. All I really knew was it was supposed to be a 4” stainless .357 magnum Smith. We did the deal today and ……..holy moly………..I got a 65-2 with a 3” barrel! I’ve been looking for this exact gun (L frame) for quite a while! I’m giddy. I took some pictures but Imageshack doesn’t seem to want to work for me anymore. It’s so new (to me) it’s still dirty. I’m about to really clean this baby up and I’ll try to post some pictures again when I’m through.
UPDATE: Picture below (this is the now "before" picture as we will have some "after" pictures after the new grips get here).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Some people don't really know what they have. Good for you, great find. James

·
Registered
464 Posts
Nice find Charlie, but the 65 is a K-frame not an L-frame. Enjoy!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep, the wonderful 3" Model 65s are K frames, a frame I much prefer shooting-wise, vs. the slightly taller L frame.

Those M65s are truly sweet-shooting revolvers.

Here's mine, from 1984 . . .

Enjoy a truly GREAT shooting and great LOOKING revolver!

Tom

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse my ignorance please. I'm certainly not as familiar with all the S&W nomenclature as most of you folks are. On the right side of the grip frame, at the bottom, is a deep stamped "L" with a circle around it. I assumed (I know, I know) this mean't it's an L frame. I was also incorrect in that it is a 65-3 (not 2). I'm not familiar at all with the screw on the front, bottom of the grip frame that pushes again the spring in the grip. My N frame and this .357 (K or L?) both have this adjustment screw. What effect does it have on the trigger/hammer, etc.? Thanks for any info. I'm glad I'm a member here so I can benefit from all the knowledge you folks have. :D

·
Administrator
8,098 Posts
Hi Charlie,
Your model 65-3 is a K frame gun. The numbers and letters found on the side of the grip frame are not there to designate frame sizes. Much the same as that letter N in the diamond on your gun does not designate it as an N frame.

They're usually just an identification mark for a particular assembler or a mark to show it's been checked during it's manufacturing process. Another reason for a mark in that area is if the gun has been sent back to the factory for any repair or refinish work. (And no, I'm not suggesting your revolver has been back to the factory for some such work.)

As such, they don't really mean much to anyone not in the manufacturing process, meaning us.

The screw you're referring to is called the strain screw. It's purpose is to put tension on the spring. It's meant to be left tight. While loosening it will cause a lighter trigger pull, it also will cause misfires since the hammer won't strike as hard as it's meant to. Other than occasionally checking to be sure it's tight, it's best to just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Carl. That's good information. I just got it cleaned up and it looks even better. I've put about 10 or 12 rds. through it before I owned it and it seemed to shoot great. The K frame thing is just fine as I don't intend to shoot heavy loads through it. I've now got to make up my mind on some nice grips. :)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom Turner said:
Yep, the wonderful 3" Model 65s are K frames, a frame I much prefer shooting-wise, vs. the slightly taller L frame.

Those M65s are truly sweet-shooting revolvers.

Here's mine, from 1984 . . .

Enjoy a truly GREAT shooting and great LOOKING revolver!

Tom
Tom,
Who made those grips? I really like that style and the rounded butt. By the way, what do you guys think a 65-3 in good to very good condition is worth these days?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Charlie,
When shopping for grips, make sure to look for K-frame round butt grips. May I suggest doing a google search for Ajax grips. I put a set of the black and silver wood laminates, no emblem, on my blued model 10-7 2" Unfortunately, I have pictures on my camera waiting to be uploaded to photobucket, but my wife put the USB cable somewhere she wouldn't lose it :roll:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Is it correct to say that the 65 is the same as a 13 but stainless instead of blue?

If so, I have that gun in a different set of clothes. It is among my very favorites...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will certainly check with Ajax as they are right up the road. I have bought from them before a few years ago. When the cable is located I would like to see some pictures of your grips.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, here it is cleaned up and with the new grips. I chose Ahrends this time as they fit my hand just perfect. It shoots great. Still tryin' to decide on the leather. Most likely will be El Paso or Mernickle.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Nice 3" K you got there. I think that 3" K's are the cat's meow. :)
If you don't mind I'd like to post a few.

65-5

64 NY-1

10-8

10-8

64 NY-1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts