Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It may even be gone by now... as I saw it last saturday at my local gun shed/store. I was there with a friend who was picking up an upper Ar15 he had to have, and while waiting for his turn at the register, he was handing me guns to look at. Nice Ruger Mk4 target..new Ruger Wrangler...S&W EZ-9...

..and one was a typical "cowboy" looking gun...only the cylinder swang/swung out....held 9 rounds, and it was double action! Hmm. Decent trigger..good sights. High Standard W-101, Double 9. Ugly plastic white grips..but looked to be in superb condition. The action was very tight,barrel bright, no rust..and looked to be well made. The frame appeared to be an alloy of some sort..which made me leery:....pot metal? $175 price tag. Hmm. I handed it back.

Once home I did some digging..and was intrigued by what I found. W100 was first year they made them in, 1958.(old as me!) W101 was made next year: 1959. The frame is aluminum, not pot metal, and I could not find a bad review. Wood grips are available..and cheap. Parts are not hard to come by.

I have to return to the "shed" today as I have a beauty of a 19-3 arriving...and...if the little fella is still there...and I could get it for a bit cheaper ($25 off would buy those nice woodies).......

No big deal..just one of those silly things that sticks in your brain...could be worse..:). Anyone got one??

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Pics??? Congrats on the new acquisitions. Would like to see the .22 and the 19-3.:cool:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^ OK..thats what I needed to hear. If I had asked someone about my Sig mosquito..before I bought it..I wound not have had such a difficult time selling it..;).

I'm going this morning to get the 19-3 (as it is bought and paid for; it's a beauty!) and maybe the High Standard....if it really shouts at me...;)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The old dude decided it was coming home with me. $150, no tax and purchased with my C&R!
Looks like it hadn’t been used in many moons..and oiled up with 30 weight oil. I was going to replace the grips but I like the 60 years of patina they show. Just enough yellowing to look good.

From what I have read the cylinder was designed to allow dry firing with no damage.

It feels solid and indexes perfectly. Crisp trigger. I’ll take it out back and see if it’s a keeper or a sleeper.

No, it’s not a K22 or a Diamondback, BUT it was $150 U.S. federal reserve notes.....and it’s got some cool features for a “cowboy” style plinker, mainly the swing out cylinder, case ejector and double action.

Fits my hand nicely too...think i'll go put it on paper..:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Good for you amigo. As was already pointed out, "back in the day they weren"t considered a high quality gun" however they weren't considered "bad" either. I've had several High Standard's and have no complaints.

Enjoy it in good health..........BTW, please don't dry fire it.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Keeper! 50 rounds with no malfunctions.

The double action is very predictable and easy to keep on target. I didn’t even clean it first ...ha!

Best money I’ve spent this week. Shot this double action target at 35 feet.

Not bad for two old timers... if 61 and 62 years is old. Who knows nowadays.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well bought. I havd a R-103 on the way actually. Goes with my Supermatic. They are pretty well made and shoot well as you've found out.
And funky way thecejector rod releases thr cylinder is different.
Mine called to me from the original box, with manual and warranty card. I was helpless.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Excellent guns. Not pretty but good, solid & dependable. A cowboy brought one into my shop years ago, he'd lost it & found it next to a gate several months later after the snow melted. The barrel & cylinder was rusty - it looked terrible but he'd had it for years & hoped it could be restored. After rust removal & re-blueing it looked & worked as good as new. He happily put it back in his holster & put the Ruger single-six he'd bought to replace it in his glove box. I've had a few & still have 1, it's not for sale.

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
Glad you were able to get it. Looks like has some character but looks in good shooting shape and the target verifies that. Congrats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts