Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get it to malfunction. ;) Obviously there is something wrong with it since "everyone" knows they're junk. That's all I read on several forums. It's all over U-tube. The "new" Python is a dud.

I did another 84 rounds through mine this afternoon, with no malfunctions. I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong. ;) :D That brings me up to 234 rounds, all 357 magnum. Not a real torture test by any means, but I'm an old man with a bad back. I can't shoot but so long.

Seriously, it's actually a lot of fun to shoot. I've never been one to shoot a lot of 357 ammo. As a matter of fact, I might have fired more 357 ammo out of this gun than all my other 357's combined. That BOOM and the muzzle flash is pretty neat. Now mind you, they're not ground shaking 357's or anything, but they're hotter than the usual 38's I'm used to shooting.

I'm going to have to get busy this weekend and load some more.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Don't you read the blogs? They're junk. If you can't get it to fail, you clearly don't know what you're doing. You need to send it to me right away- I'll get it back to you (eventually). :D

·
Registered
19,658 Posts
All the gun test videos, done by self-proclaimed "experts", are basically stupid, biased, opinions. (Everybody has one. But, some are just crap!) I started to watch one, a little while ago, where this 'expert' was comparing 9mm. to .357 Mag. for self defense. Shooting my new Ruger 9mm. is a 'pussycat' and doesn't even compare well with .38 Spl +P 125 gr. that I shoot the most......which is a pretty strong load. The recoil, and sound is much greater! I'm not talking ballistics.....which probably are pretty close.

While I carry the little Ruger lc9s 9mm. out on the street, out in the woods, I carry a K frame .38 Spl. +P revolver with heavy 158 gr SWC's. It may never make a difference what I carry, because I've never had to use a gun anyway. I just feel like I'm making the right choice. Anybody feel the same way......or am I just an idiot???? Bob

·
Super Moderator
19,331 Posts
My python (early 1970's model was a great pistol, as long as you were just looking at it. It spent more time in the gunsmith's shop than in my holster.
It wouldn't stay timed properly. I eventually sold it, but I always knew there was hope for it somewhere out there in lala land.

My brother had the big brother in 44 mag. I think it was the anaconda model, and it was simply perfection. It shot more accurately than I could ever shoot, and it never ever malfunctioned.

I've always loved the snake series guns, and still wish I had more in mt collection

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had one that I shot in the distinguished match PPC years ago and it never gave me any trouble. I bought these two after that and they have never been fired.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,999 Posts
I think you have a good example of the new Python. I know some videos showed flaws and feel alot of the internet comments may not be actually experienced but more echos. Sure there are some issues out there but all new gun ventures have the same issues during startup. Glad yours is a good one. Just enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
CajunBass, glad you're enjoying your new Colt Python!

The thing I find so sad is that people are saying terrible things about Colt and seem happy to see them fail. Colt responded in a video from the SHOT Show that over 5000 guns are out there and none have been returned for cylinder turning failure. It seems that 2 of the 5000 were from YouTubers and those failures are a .04% failure rate.

I just saw that the new Glock 44 .22 pistol has thrown its extractor and cracked its polymer slide. That's one gun.

We all know Ruger and S&W have had their runs of recalls and broken guns. Mechanical things fail. Perfection is not a realistic goal. The question isn't why did it fail, it's what did the manufacturer do to stand behind the product?

It seems that Gun Culture 2.0 doesn't like revolvers or Colt very much because Colt doesn't make a polymer frame/striker fired handgun. GC2.0 seems very happy to lambast Colt. Oftentimes people who say negative things about a particular brand say it because they prefer a different brand and are not objective or thoughtful. An example would be the age long Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge kind of thing.

Enjoy your Python and know that if anything ever happens to it, Colt will fix it free of charge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apparently you got a lemon. It's not breaking like it's supposed to. If you want, you can send it to me postage paid and I'll run some further tests for you.

J/K! Congrats! Sounds like yours is one of the good ones. Hopefully it runs flawlessly for several thousand more rounds.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what it's worth, another trip to the range this morning, with another 100 rounds mixed 50/50 between 50 rounds of factory Fiochi, 140 grain 357, and 50 rounds of my 38 reloads with 125 grain Berry's plated bullets. As expected, no problems at all. That bring me up to about 350 rounds with only a "dud" cartridge to call a "problem." Probably over 1000 dry fire cycles.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Python on the RANGE!

For what it's worth, another trip to the range this morning, with another 100 rounds mixed 50/50 between 50 rounds of factory Fiochi, 140 grain 357, and 50 rounds of my 38 reloads with 125 grain Berry's plated bullets. As expected, no problems at all. That bring me up to about 350 rounds with only a "dud" cartridge to call a "problem." Probably over 1000 dry fire cycles.
Hey CB,

How about pics from the range?

Always like them "snazzy" PYTHON posing pics... :D May just have a Colt's laying about:confused:

Something like this, mayhaps? :D

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not much to take a picture of at the range. It's an indoor place, and they all look pretty much the same.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
LOL .. Good to see you are enjoying your new Toy!!!!

I read they may be full of mime parts too!!

or was that mim .. I never get that right!! :)
If a mime is arrested does he have the right to remain silent?

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

1 - 20 of 22 Posts