Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess it's nice to have a 'collection'. Not something I desire to do however. All the firearms in my gun cabinet I use, why I purchased them in the first place.

To me, a firearm is a tool, just like a knife (have a couple of those as well) and my 'toolbox' has everything I require to effectuate the disciplines I enjoy (hunting and indoor target shooting) and for self protection.

I enjoy looking at others collections but my philosophy is, if I'm not going to use them as a tool to advance my hunting or self protection, I have no need for them, nor do I want them.

Other than a very few select firearms I don't view them in general as a good investment either.

Just my 2 cents and while you may agree or not, that is how I operate. I don't 'love' my firearms, they are just objects, machines to be used and used properly.

Love my wife, my pup and my son. Other than those 3 things, everything else is just an acquired tool.

No, I don't 'love' Amy's cats. In fact I dislike them but it's part of the marriage deal so I 'tolerate' them.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Both hubby and I feel pretty much the same way about our guns, with one exception for each of us, and those are revolvers which are almost never used but we keep them "for sentimental reasons." So I guess not all of our small collection of guns are tools after all.

Unless you really know what you are doing, buying firearms for investments seems to me a very good way of tying up money that could earn a little in a CD from an insured bank. I've seen too many people think they were buying investments and then, way too late, they or their heirs found out that a gun (or anything else) is worth exactly what a willing buyer will pay for it at a certain moment in time.....usually not close to what was paid for it originally. But I think the same "unless you really know what you are doing" applies to most investments. My opinion.

·
Registered
16,999 Posts
No collection as I intend to shoot them all and share with the Grandkids. Some get more use than others but they are awaiting a range trip. When tire I do trade or sell but do not expect huge profit. So, there is an assimilation of a variety of young and old guns for enjoyment and self defense if needed.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Hmm. What I don't see is the distinction between "collecting" and "using". I have a bunch of arguably "collectible" pieces. I shoot them at the range, so do my kids.

What I don't understand are the folks who get the ANIB guns at a big premium and stuff them in the safe never to see the light of day. What are they waiting for?

That said, I'm not gonna stuff a 1918 Regulation Police Target into a holster and carry it. I got some nice stainless carry guns for that.

no safe queens.jpg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Said it before, but here goes again. There are NO virgins in my safe.............couple of collectibles yeah, but every dang thing therein is subject to gettin ' a hot bbl.............that includes the 1918 hand ejector in .32 and that (unfortunately) nickled but otherwise nice 1911 that bubba had a hand in. My old M/70 is on tap to bust a few tomorrow.............hopefully the scope will still hold it's zero. Heck I even shoot my Grandad's old single Shattuck's perfection (tho with BP)! Gun hadn't seen much use till I got it, but the story of him, shootin' his sisters toe off while tryin' to kill her cat will live on thru the next gen...............I hope.

Like I said, brook no Virgins!

·
Registered
19,658 Posts
I've said it before.........I have bought 'pre-owned' NIB S&W's for a good price, (below a new revolver of the same model) in the used counter of a gun shop. These are 'like new' guns, and I take them to the range, and shoot them. Nothin' wrong with that....is there??? :D Bob

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
45 LC pre 26 (1/200)
KzXzuHw.jpg

3rd model M Frame Ladysmith Target
E8Siutk.jpg
Mint Model of 1899
UUEuca8.jpg
Regulation Police Target (52 surviving examples)
YTbsxr6.jpg

Nuff said?

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
I shoot everything I’ve got mate..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Didn't buy the only "new" handgun I've owned. It was a model 637 that S&W sent me as a replacement for a model 37 with a cracked frame. I had bought the 37 used and the crack developed a few months later. Traded it for a 1902 Remington rolling block. Never fired the 37.
The only other guns I bought new were a Stevens 311 double barrel, a Mossberg 835, and a Ruger #1. Still have the 311, the other two were traded away.
I've had some safe queens in that I didn't want to shoot them too much, but they too have been traded away for shooters with nice aged patinas. I like old guns, they make me feel young! :D

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts