Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( HELP! I was firing in the new Nikon M-308 scope (love it). New gun also S&W MP10 .308 (did love it), bought it on gunbroker.com. The bolt hold back knob blew out, :eek: I can't believe it! :( What now? Any advice?? It looks a bit damaged inside the hole for the knob, I found three parts, the knob, a spring, and a pivot lever that fits in the knob, anything else missing? :confused: Oh my! Guess I'll need a gunsmith here. Bummer! :(

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
Are you talking about the forward bolt assist on the right side behind the ejection port?
If that malfunctioned it should be covered under the warranty.
What ammo were you shooting? Was it factory or home loaded? These are questions that should be addressed.
If all goes right, the factory will take care of the problem quickly and pretty much painlessly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, I do not know my gun part terminology. ;) Gearchecker does! Ok, I'll contact Smith & Wesson, ummm, how do I do that??? :confused: Thanks guys for the rapid response!! I love my guns, but have lots to learn!! :D :bluelogo:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a rough schematic, it is the "forward assist"! I hate reading directions, :cool: what does the forward assist do? :confused: I thought it just held the action open? I pull the action back then the forward assist, release the action then the forward assist and the action stays open. The gun fires fine without the forward assist (it fell out), but I just can't lock the action open. Am I confused? Set me straight please! :D You guys are awesome!! :D ;)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The forward assist is used to push the bolt the rest of the way into battery should it not quite go fully forward (like from a cruddy chamber). It doesn't have anything to do with holding your bolt open. Take the magazine out, make sure it's unloaded, and pull the bolt back and let go. The bolt should go forward. You'll find a button on the left side of your gun which if you pull the bolt back and hold it, push the bottom part of the button in, you'll have locked the bolt back and can return the charging handle forward. Push the upper part of that button and the bolt will release. I hope that's not too over simplified. I'd return the gun to S&W and in the meantime, there are lots of good books on ARs out there for you to learn from. It will help you immensly to understand what the parts are and what they do. Good luck!

By the way, I've never heard of blowing the forward assist out. Were you shooting factory ammo?

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
The bolt assist or "Forward Assist" as we call it is explained on page 17 of your owners manual.
It's used to seat a cartridge that didn't fully seat when the bolt closed.
If you ever have this condition, be advise, use a light touch on the bolt assist. If the cartridge doesn't seat with minor assistance, you need to eject that cartridge and move on. Jamming it in will usually cause your rifle to cease functioning completely with a jammed live round in the chamber, and that's not a good thing!
I don't have a parts sheet to show you what part in your rifle broke. It's a simple repair, (a $2-5 part) and it should be covered under the warranty. You might consider going onto the Brownell's website and getting a copy of their free catalog for AR rifles.
Also buying a spare parts kit is pretty inexpensive, and it will get your rifle back online quickly if another minor part fails or falls out. you're probably only looking at $50-75 for the parts kit.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gentlemen, will attempt to find a S&W contact to get repairs underway, yes by the way, factory ammo. Though I do want to reload eventually! Scary that "Hellbent" never heard of this happening? There is some marring inside the "forward assist" chamber. Hope thats not a serious issue. Thank you all again, will do some reading and try to find someone who can give me some hands on training also! Can I shoot the gun with the forward assist missing? :D

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Thanks Gentlemen, will attempt to find a S&W contact to get repairs underway, yes by the way, factory ammo. Though I do want to reload eventually! Scary that "Hellbent" never heard of this happening? There is some marring inside the "forward assist" chamber. Hope thats not a serious issue. Thank you all again, will do some reading and try to find someone who can give me some hands on training also! Can I shoot the gun with the forward assist missing? :D
Contact S&W via e-mail. Be specific as to exactly what happened. Doubtless they will rectify the problem promptly. Keep a record of all e-mail correspondence as that will simplify things if any confusion should arise as to specifics of what you say to them and how exactly they respond. Do not continue to shoot the rifle. It is likely that this problem is just a single bad part. However it would be incredibly unwise to chance further damage to the rifle by shooting it w/o S&W first making any repairs.

Only rarely have I ever had a problem w/ a S&W firearm. Always the problem was something small like a broken hammer nose or a spring that failed. Repairs never required more than a trip to the local gunsmith. The only exception to this was when I sent a revolver to S&W for a spring repair and an action job. Everything was handled in a very prompt business like manner. Doubtless S&W will respond to you in the same manner. Given the nature of your problem many will certainly be interested to see what S&W finds and how the matter is resolved. Please do update this thread with how S&W deals with the issue of your rifle. Sincerely. brucev.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Guys, I took it to a local tactical gunsmith because I didn't want the down time of sending it to S&W, he made a quick fix (properly) and I am shooting again. He insists it was MY fault, in that I was shooting the gun single shot without the magazine installed. The magazine must be installed! OK, another lesson learned! Oh my! Thanks again for all your inputs!!! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
gangel, you really should read the owners manual before firing the weapon. Also, maybe go shooting with a friend who is familiar with AR-15/AR-10 weapons systems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts