Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the Nashville, Dickerson Rd. Wall Mart for $69.87, this American Eagle 5.56 NATO:

amerEag_1426.jpg

I use the Q 3131 white box, almost exclusively. It performs consistently in my Bushie. So my cousin (big farm -- lotsa "range" opportunity) wants to plink with me and, please bring the AR. To preserve my "known performance" Win ammo, I bought the American Eagle. Green tip, hmmmmm... whatupwiddat?

--plinky

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
If you put a magnet to the green tip, you will discover why they have a green tip. My local WallyWorld has them also. I bought one box, just because.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mick,

Is this considered "Armor Piercing" ammo?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
It isn't armor piercing, it just steel tipped. It helps them reduce their overall costs without giving up much in reliability and accuracy.
Steel tipped bullets MAY increase the wear on your barrel. But I have no idea how much you would need to shoot before the results were noticeable.
I would guess you would have to shoot tens of thousands of rounds before it affects a rifle
One other concern with steel tipped ammo, is the risk of sparks starting a fire on impact. I'm not so sure the fire risk is all that great, but it's enough to receive mention in my ranges monthly newsletter.
We have a couple ranges out here that ban steel bullets if the Forest service posts a moderate or higher fire danger. It's not worth the risk in their book.

If you're in a location where there is no risk with their use, have at it.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It isn't armor piercing, it just steel tipped. It helps them reduce their overall costs without giving up much in reliability and accuracy.
Steel tipped bullets MAY increase the wear on your barrel. But I have no idea how much you would need to shoot before the results were noticeable.
I would guess you would have to shoot tens of thousands of rounds before it affects a rifle
One other concern with steel tipped ammo, is the risk of sparks starting a fire on impact. I'm not so sure the fire risk is all that great, but it's enough to receive mention in my ranges monthly newsletter.
We have a couple ranges out here that ban steel bullets if the Forest service posts a moderate or higher fire danger. It's not worth the risk in their book.

If you're in a location where there is no risk with their use, have at it.

Regards,
Gregory
thanks Gearchecker. Should have known I would find my answer written by you. Just bought my first AR (S&W Sport II) and was looking at ammo (when it become available) and saw Green tip was inexpensive. Wondered what the difference was and if I could use it at the range. I too wondered if it was armor piercing or what. Now I know the difference. As to the range, I will have to wait for them to open but I doubt it for now. Will stick to regular ammo. Thanks for the answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts