Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this in a yard sale for $2 bucks probably 15 years ago because I hadn't seen one in so many years. It's been in my storage shed, but because I'm on water rations due to a broken pipe, I'm making due and this old gal is doing great as a hand washing station! When I was a kid working the produce; cantaloupes, grapes, onions, water melons and other things in the Arizona summers, these cans were common for drinking water until plastic became popular. I had forgotten it, but now I'm glad I kept it! :p

Igloo.jpeg

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
We kept a five gallon Igloo on the truck for years and years! In the morning my mother would fill it with sweet iced tea. The four of us ... my father and us three boys ... would drink all of it by lunch. Then we'd fill it with iced water and drink all that before going home. One of my brothers got the Igloo. Cool! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
We used to make and use what we called "Baja Bottles". It consisted of a glass 1 gallon bleach bottle (the type with the glass finger loop near the top/spout) and 6-8 layers of burlap wrapped around the glass body (held securely in place with waxed twine) with a cork closure. As long as the burlap remained moist, the evaporation would keep the water relatively cool.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
We used to make and use what we called "Baja Bottles". It consisted of a glass 1 gallon bleach bottle (the type with the glass finger loop near the top/spout) and 6-8 layers of burlap wrapped around the glass body (held securely in place with waxed twine) with a cork closure. As long as the burlap remained moist, the evaporation would keep the water relatively cool.
We called them "Demi John's" great for wine making mate.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=demijohns+for+wine&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqs3rBRCdARIsADe1pfRsAT85_OKc3MvAAVT_BV3tL4pb2OVnPGO1SPIvfSiwIxQb_kRZlGMaAhzpEALw_wcB&hvadid=377899888973&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012056&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=6018956635017985284&hvtargid=aud-649564993678:kwd-356718548521&hydadcr=13934_9624574&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_2c124atwwh_b

thewelshm

·
Registered
747 Posts
A blast from the past. My father worked construction, and when I went to the job sites with him, you'd see a few of those around (mostly the yellow plastic Covey ones with red lids at that time.)
I think he may have even had one around here in one of his sheds for a while, I can't remember for sure anymore.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A blast from the past. My father worked construction, and when I went to the job sites with him, you'd see a few of those around (mostly the yellow plastic Covey ones with red lids at that time.)
I think he may have even had one around here in one of his sheds for a while, I can't remember for sure anymore.
Isn't it so cool to see something this simple again in life? Dang, I think back now and so much in my youth is gone.... we cannot forget! :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Isn't it so cool to see something this simple again in life? Dang, I think back now and so much in my youth is gone.... we cannot forget! :)
Yes, indeed. I'm not terribly old (45,) but hardly a day goes by that I don't miss the simplicity of life back when I was younger.
Plenty enough troubles, too (just like most everyone,) but simpler.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
In my high school days , the State used to hire juniors and seniors to plant trees on reclaimed strip mine sites . The boss from the State carried four coolers like those in the bed of his pick up . Cold as ice and tasted great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I saved several of those and had them in a storage container by our shop. The wife found them and made flower pots out of 3 of them. I bit my tongue and said "they look awesome honey"

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,720 Posts
I remember seeing those on the highway maintenance trucks back home in Indiana. The only nearly similar thing I got to use regularly were these.

Lister Bag.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts