Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I like to buy new cars/trucks, and now that I'm retired, keep them until they have 150k miles on them. I like having TOTALLY RELIABLE CARS......AND I'M NOT A MECHANIC. Being a Toyota fan, I tend to notice old Toyotas that are still being driven as 'everyday driver's'. I am amazed at the number of old Corollas, Camry's, pick-ups, and even RAV4's that are still being driven.

This is a big, liberal,college area with many young people in their 20's, and older people (like myself). I've had a Toyota 4x4 pick-up, and currently a 2015 RAV4 with 120k miles. It's still running fine and looks new. I am a fanatic about keeping my cars 'like new' as it gets older.....but I still take it off-roading on dirt "woods roads" in the Berkshires, around home and beyond.

In my travels, I see many old, original, early RVA4s, looking old, and in decent shape, from the 1990's. I know there is a mechanic on-line, (Scotty Kilmer) who is a fan of Toyotas, and keeps them for 250000 +miles, on a regular basis. He gives the impression that he never has trouble with them.....at all. He does replace tires, brakes, wipers, batteries, and change the oil on a regular basis. Is this really true??? Can I expect the same from my 2015 RAV4???

I know there must be some of you, that are fans of Toyotas too. I might keep my 2015 for the rest of my life (or at least a 5-10 more years) Can you give me some advice? Money is not a problem......NOW, but the Biden Administration, and the Progressive Dems., makes me wonder if they may just take my life's savings away, leaving me in a future position where I won't be able to afford a new RAV4, later in my life. Should I worry about this possiblility.........or am I OK......as far as my current ride goes?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I'm a fan of Toyota as well. I dropped Ford after driving them for decades. In SoCal Toyotas are very popular. The better half has had Toyotas since the 80's and their products has never left her stranded.
On a side note, I recently viewed a new Bronco on the road.
Gawd, what a design mess.

·
Banned
102 Posts
120K miles on a 2015 RAV4 is nothing on a well-maintained Toyota. And when I say "well-maintained", I'm talking just about the basics. You don't really have to follow every single one of the "dealers' recommendations" to keep your Toyota up to specs and running good. Unless you just really bang it around on those woods roads, you ought to see well over 210K miles before things start to go south.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Being a red blooded Merican I always drove domestic. All GM except for 2 Fords ( yuk!) . We are living SS check to check and my wife didn't have a car. My 96 truck was pushing 370K and was getting tired. A local ministry blessed us with a 2005 Toyota Avalon. Car needed some work , 1 front wheel hub , Coils on the back 3 cyls.. Repairs done and all services done ( by me ). Just clicked over 295K and runs like a top. Engine has timing chains not belts so I figure with regular oil and filter changes it's good to go. This is God's car and we are very blessed to be custodians of it.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
I have a 2008 4Runner that I bought new. I have driven it all over the woods and desert here in Oregon and back and forth to Indiana 4 times. Never a hiccup.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I'm a Mopar kind of guy generally the SRT brand, wifey drives a Mercedes. I met a guy in1993 who had a Suzuki dirt bike on a Toyota pick up. I've rebuilt the bike twice for him in 27 years, it always comes on the same pick up, with now 370000 miles on it,,

thewelshm

Reactions: Injunbro and Bob K

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
We acquired a 2019 Toyota Highlander SE-AWD in December of 2019 and as this is written we are nearing the ten-thousand mile mark. I have no complaints. We anticipated traveling but the current pandemic has modified thus curtailed those plans. We are located in the foothills, the six-cylinder engine and 8-speed transmission give us on average 26-MPG. In my seventh decade this has the potential of being my last vehicle.

·
Registered
19,383 Posts
I'm not brand loyal at all. I buy used low mileage off lease always and we have Ford and Chevy here.

My main requirement is good fuel mileage (which will become more important as the cost of fuel goes way up with Plugs and his banning everything).

My car gets 40 mpg and runs like a top and it's a Ford. My wife has a mini van and the Suburban and the 'Burb' is a pig on gas but it is a V8. They are all good if maintained and I do ALL my own services and repairs.

Was considering an off lease Subaru bit I don't care for styling at all. In fact, noting fairly new impresses me styling wise and I don't like a ton of electronic gizmo's anyway, just more stuff to fail

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not a Toyota but my 2010 Nissan Altima has close to 230K on it. My 98 Chevy Silverado has over 300K on it.

Reactions: Forester

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I started driving Toyota’s a few years ago. We are on our second Sienna only because the dealership wanted my older one because they had no used ones. It is a 2017 and I expect it to go for a few thousand miles. I bought a Rav4 a little over a year ago and it had 80,000 on it. I expect it to go for a few more thousand also. I love them both.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Passed 225k on a 2000 Land Cruiser today. Other than normal maintenance, replaced the ignition coils last year as well as the alternator. It could be argued the is regular maintenance as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I started driving Toyota’s a few years ago. We are on our second Sienna only because the dealership wanted my older one because they had no used ones. It is a 2017 and I expect it to go for a few thousand miles. I bought a Rav4 a little over a year ago and it had 80,000 on it. I expect it to go for a few more thousand also. I love them both.
From what I have experienced, 80K is nothing!!! From what I've done with my cars/trucks, 150K should be easily done....particularly on a Toyota!!!! I intend to keep the RAV4 for 10 years or 200K miles. (It's got 120K now after 6 years.)

With Biden's plan for raising the gasoline prices, I can probably afford it four more years. At that point, I will have to decide if I want an electric, Hydrogen, or something else. My original plan was to share my wife's 2019 Toyota Carolla. She's only put on 20K miles in 2 years. (She likes to stay home, so I go alone, and put twice the mileage on my car.) I HATE staying home....ALL THE TIME!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: Bob

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm not real brand loyal either. I've had Ford's Chevy's, VW's, Subaru's, and even a Yugo(a repo, real cheap).
For almost 10 years now we've had a 2005 Rav4. It only has 160,000 miles on it. We did replace the alternator at about 100,000. Right now I have an emissions system leak. No one can tell me where it is, and the car still runs like a top.
We have a few things we want to do to the car soon, just preventative maint. It's too nice a car to let go of.
If I was buying a new Toyota, I think I'd look at the C-HR. But that's assuming my tired old knees can get me in and out of it without making lots of old man noises.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Daryl, Most of the cross-over cars are styled like the Subaru.....I don't like it either. VW makes a Tiguan, that's styled like a station wagon.....which I prefer. It's supposed to be a solid car. We've had 2 VW Golfs in the 80's, nice cars.....but they are expensive to repair, and things go wrong pretty regular. As the German cars get older, they cost a small fortune to repair, and parts have to be ordered from Germany, if not in stock locally. The same applies to Porsche, Audi, Mercedes.....but they are even MORE EXPENSIVE. A tune-up, with new plugs costs $1000. From Toyota, for the RAV4 it's $600!!! I did it all on my own.....replaced everything listed in the manuel for 120K service, at about 100K....but a little at a time. Replaced ALL my fluids, had 2 front brakes done. It is just like new.....at 120K miles. Looks like new too! ;)

When I brought it in to Toyota at 120K miles, they only did oil and filter, tire rotation, and a cabin filter for about $120. The service write says "You'll need the injecters cleanned too!!!!" I told him that I ALWAYS use the more expensive gas line anti-freeze with fuel injecter cleanerI(only $.20 more) NO SALE TODAY........Bucko!!!! :p:cool: Bob

·
Registered
23,460 Posts
Bob, your RAV4 should be good for @ least another 100K & probably more since you take excellent care of your vehicles. I've never owned a car (always pickups or Jeeps) but have had: Toyota, Ford, Jeep, Mazda, Chevy, Dodge... & rank them in that order. Currently we have 2 Tacomas (2010 & 2014) & no intention of switching. My 2014 4wd was built in Texas.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Forester, Long ago, about 20+ years ago, I used to believe that 120k miles on a vehicle, was the end of trouble free motoring. I would trade for a new car/truck, instead of paying for all the maintenance issues......tires, brakes, batteries, hoses, belts, ........... the list is unendding!!! o_O

Nowadays, and since switching to Toyotas, I have changed my tune. With good care, there is no reason not to run a Toyota, (or any car/truck) over 200K+ miles. Auto makers have made the vehicles to be able to do this.

That's why I see so many people driving 'old cars/trucks'. the prices of 'brand new cars' has risen to the point of being offensive.....particularly when you have to subject yourself to 'offensive car salesmen' who think $40-50,000 is 'chump change'.

I could afford it......but why should I spend that much money......when I could put another $1000 into my old car, and run it, and it will give me good service until 'the next time' happens. That's why I joined AAA this year......'just in case something happens'. So, I will keep the Toy for a few more years........ or the rest of my life......which ever comes first!!!!! 😉 I'm good with that. .:cool: Bob

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Forester, Long ago, about 20+ years ago, I used to believe that 120k miles on a vehicle, was the end of trouble free motoring. I would trade for a new car/truck, instead of paying for all the maintenance issues......tires, brakes, batteries, hoses, belts, ........... the list is unendding!!! o_O

Nowadays, and since switching to Toyotas, I have changed my tune. With good care, there is no reason not to run a Toyota, (or any car/truck) over 200K+ miles. Auto makers have made the vehicles to be able to do this.

That's why I see so many people driving 'old cars/trucks'. the prices of 'brand new cars' has risen to the point of being offensive.....particularly when you have to subject yourself to 'offensive car salesmen' who think $40-50,000 is 'chump change'.

I could afford it......but why should I spend that much money......when I could put another $1000 into my old car, and run it, and it will give me good service until 'the next time' happens. That's why I joined AAA this year......'just in case something happens'. So, I will keep the Toy for a few more years........ or the rest of my life......which ever comes first!!!!! I'm good with that. .:cool: Bob
Several years ago I hit a deer and totaled my wife’s 2000 BMW 528, it had 386K miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts