Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend inherited this gun recently and is asking me if I’m interested in it and if I know anything about it. I am interested of course. This forum has helped me a few times in this manner. Can any of you guys tell me when it was made and give me an idea of what to offer for this gun?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
The serial number puts it in 1966-1967. Looks like a Model 10-6. Here is mine. It shipped in 1968.

chevy camaro zl1 wallpaper

Reactions: Cliff and msharley

·
Registered
214 Posts
It’s a model 10 from 1966 or 1967. Probably a 10-6. I’d feel pretty good about paying $300 for it if it was mechanically sound. You can buy the original style grips pretty cheap. I don’t think I’d go over $400. It doesn’t look too bad from the pics.

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
I bought mine for $210 off of Gunbroker in 2017. It is a very good shooter.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
as K22 said - a model 10-6 from the mid/late 1960's - that being the heavy barrel as opposed to a 10-5 which is the tapered barrel and was available at the same time

its a shooter of course - with some condition issues and those J Scott aftermarket grips have to go.... around here, after a good cleanup about $300 - maybe a touch more ...

still - there is just something about that M10 heavy barrel profile..

10-6_002.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once again thanks guys. So this guy just died “they think” of Covid 19. My friend tells me he was a MP that flew on the Presidents helicopter in the late sixties. The guy apparently died penniless and they’re trying to raise money to bury him.
I know the grips aren’t original, but what are the chances they’re worth anything being pearl?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think it's in bout the same condition of one I bought and later gave to my Sister just last year. I felt real good about paying $225 for it. I think you should be okay paying in the $300 "range". I don't think I'd pay $400 if that's freckling on the left side of the barrel. If it's just lint, and the left is as good as the right side, I might go up to $400.

I really wish I could find another one like I gave Sis. But that one is a pretty nice shooter I think.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
..I know the grips aren’t original, but what are the chances they’re worth anything being pearl?

they are Jay Scott aftermarket grips - value priced replacements, not worth much. the imitation Pearl over the thin wood backing is an easy id, 25+ bucks on ebay, often in their box..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts