Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husqvarna S&W model A. Can't find caliber. Bought as a .30-06 but that's not correct. I also would like to know manufacture date.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
According to the SCSW it was produced 1969-1972 in a number of standard calibers from .22-250 through .300 Win. Mag. I have owned a number of Huskys over the years. Sweden is (was ?) one of those countries where the barrel was the firearms identity. All I have seen had barrels that bore proofs, caliber markings and a serial number. My best suggestion is to take off the stock and look in the hidden spots for markings. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out by finding the fact that three calibers (.25-06,.243 and 7mmRem.Mag) came with six lands and grooves where all others had four. My rifling also had 6 lands and grooves. I read up and saw where someone had a 7mmRem.Mag and it was serial numbered 13 rifles before mine. I took these said facts in mind and took a .270 round and inserted it into the muzzle and it went in.This being said, I knew it must be larger than .243. I also did this with a .30-06 round which showed me .30 cal was too large for the bore. so I hand chambered the .270 round lightly to compare and it was loose. Finally I compared the round to the bolt and ejector and it was too small. Knowing that .270 and 7mm are closest in diameter with 7mm having a larger casing I trialed the 7mm in the same manner after buying a box of rounds. I was sure at this point I wouldn't be wasting my money on rounds I had no rifle for... lol. Viola! 7mm Rem.Mag. And with the serial number being as close to the other person's which was manufactured late 1970 to 1971 I took the assumption it was probably correct for my rifle as well.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
You can get the exact build date from the Husquvarna website using the serial number. I own one in 308 in pristine condition. Shoots quarter sized groups at 200 yards with handloaded Bergers. I replaced the stock (terrible trigger) with a Timney small Mauser trigger.

Reactions: B68wild

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get the exact build date from the Husquvarna website using the serial number. I own one in 308 in pristine condition. Shoots quarter sized groups at 200 yards with handloaded Bergers. I replaced the stock (terrible trigger) with a Timney small Mauser trigger.
Thanks Sidecar. Though I'm just trying to keep her original. They hold great value and they are very nice. Mine isn't pristine though. Would like to locate a bolt as previous owners let it become pitted. I haven't been able to locate a website that gives any results for the serial number.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Thanks Sidecar. Though I'm just trying to keep her original. They hold great value and they are very nice. Mine isn't pristine though. Would like to locate a bolt as previous owners let it become pitted. I haven't been able to locate a website that gives any results for the serial number.

Shoot Marc a PM. He's well versed in Paul Mauser actions. It's a Mauser 98 small action btw. Good luck on the bolt. The bolts were hand fitted and lapped to the individual raceways. You'd be better off getting the bolt refinished and re engine turned.

The stock trigger is abysmal but par for the course in a 60's stick. Timney makes a nice drop in trigger that really improves the functionality of the rifle.

It's a great shooter. Mine is every bit as accurate as my custom built sticks with Bartlien Barrels and Pierce actions. The only drawback for me is the wood Monte Carlo stock and the weight (scoped). I used Talley rings on mine, Bruce Talley makes a set of rings for the action. I don't care for wood stocks but I'm not about to devalue the rifle by fitting a carbon fiber stock so it is what it is, my backup gun. It goes along for the ride, just in case. Had it out on the last guided hunt I went on. Everyone had to handle it and look it over. They were amazed at how smooth the lockup was and how the trigger felt. The Timney I installed pulls at 2 pounds. No ceeep, no let off, unlike the stock trigger where you never know from one shot to the next when the firing pin will drop.

The furniture is exceptionally beautiful but not functional for my uses. Still a fine example of Husky craftsmanship. I think (not 100% sure) that after about 1500 importations of the Husky built model, S&W switched to Howa and those aren't nearly as sought after as the Husky's are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mine is actually a big ring 1900 action. After they quit using the small ring 1640 action they switched to the push feed 1900 which were less of but yes it's gonna be hard either way to replace the bolt. Being new to the forum I'm not quite sure who you mean by Marc though lol. I'm not even sure where I'd get the bolt resurfaced and turned. I'm in southern Michigan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
According to the SCSW it was produced 1969-1972 in a number of standard calibers from .22-250 through .300 Win. Mag. I have owned a number of Huskys over the years. Sweden is (was ?) one of those countries where the barrel was the firearms identity. All I have seen had barrels that bore proofs, caliber markings and a serial number. My best suggestion is to take off the stock and look in the hidden spots for markings. Let us know what you find.
No markings, but the S&W symbol is kinda light and looks as if maybe someone refinished it wearing and/ or covering up markings. Possibly a re-barrel but I thought aftermarket barrels in the U.S. were supposed to be marked as well.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
A correct diameter bullet should stop just shy of the case when inserted in the muzzle. As has been previously mentioned a chamber casting may be needed. Between the bolt face and slugging the barrel I think I could figure enough to try fireforming a cornmeal load to see if the thing is an exotic rechambering.
A further observation from an old man, you can not recapture what is no longer there. Even if you spend a fortune trying. If there is something you truly desire, find it and buy it.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Mine is actually a big ring 1900 action. After they quit using the small ring 1640 action they switched to the push feed 1900 which were less of but yes it's gonna be hard either way to replace the bolt. Being new to the forum I'm not quite sure who you mean by Marc though lol. I'm not even sure where I'd get the bolt resurfaced and turned. I'm in southern Michigan.
So am I actually. Western edge of Monroe County, just south of Cabelas.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts

You might want to call John Pierce, Pierce Engineering, Lansing, Michigan. John is a master gunsmith and has built a number of custom rifles for me. He's also a Grand Master F Class shooter.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I hunt in Hillsdale County, just off 127 and Beecher Street, on private land. Deer city there. Some wild hogs too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might want to call John Pierce, Pierce Engineering, Lansing, Michigan. John is a master gunsmith and has built a number of custom rifles for me. He's also a Grand Master F Class shooter.
Taking note of that right now. Thanks for the info.
I hunt in Hillsdale County, just off 127 and Beecher Street, on private land. Deer city there. Some wild hogs too.
Basically my back yard lol wow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts