Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. My husband recently inherited this nickel plated .38 Special CTG 6-shot revolver. Markings include the following:

Serial: 1758XX (no letter - matching on butt and cylinder)
Patent dates: MAR 27 94, MAY 21 95, AUG 4 96, DEC 22 98, OCT 8 01, DEC 17 01, FEB 6 08, SEP 14 09
(or best I could read them).
Car alarm Guitar accessory Health care Measuring instrument Automotive lighting
Bicycle fork Cylinder Bicycle part Pipe Nickel

·
Premium Member
20,502 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! It appears you have a .38 Military & Police Model 1905, round butt revolver with 4" barrel from around 1912 or so. Would you post pictures that show the entire gun? In particular the grips as it appears to be wearing some H&R panels versus S&W.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! It appears you have a .38 Military & Police Model 1905, round butt revolver with 4" barrel from around 1912 or so. Would you post pictures that show the entire gun? In particular the grips as it appears to be wearing some H&R panels versus S&W.
I will grab some more pictures after my son goes to bed...hard to rustle a 3yo.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well used, but quite serviceable. Lube it up and take it shooting. :)

·
Premium Member
20,502 Posts
Dang, you're good! What did you do to get that 3 YO to go to sleep so quickly? Anyway, I was wrong about the grips. They are typical S&W hard rubber of that era. The serial number from the gun is probably scratched into the back of the right grip panel. But, don't try to take them off to look unless you are extremely careful. They get brittle over time and will crack or break if they are pried off. The correct method is to loosen the grip screw completely but leave it in place. Then, push on the head of the screw to pop off the right panel. Make sure to keep the top and bottom of the panel equidistant from the frame as they come off. You can then use your finger to push the left panel off through the grip frame. If that doesn't work, take the wooden or plastic handle of a tool like a hammer or screwdriver, hold the barrel and cylinder in one hand and rap the grip frame at the knuckle to vibrate the panels loose. They'll drop free so do this over a padded table top or towel. Once you remove the panels, clean any rust forming under them. After all this time, there's bound to be some. And, like delcrossv says, "clean, lube and shoot!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's not asleep...just playing in another room long enough for me to get some quick snaps. We probably won't shoot it. Husband wants to have it shadowboxed as a display piece if it is worth doing that. He thinks his stepbrother has one that is close to a match for it, but I don't have pics of that one.

·
Premium Member
20,502 Posts
Smooth move! A shadowbox is a great idea, IMO. Since it was inherited, is it possible it was originally purchased by a family member when it was made? At that time, S&W shipped directly to a buyer although it was rare the guns went to anywhere but a distributor or hardware store. The S&W Historical Foundation will provide a "factory letter" for $100 that tells when it shipped from the factory, to whom it shipped and how it was configured. Unfortunately, they have suspended that service until next January due to a deluge of letter requests. But I mention this if you want to submit a request next year to accompany the gun in the shadowbox. In addition, if any family members recall any history, it is a good idea to write it down for posterity. In about 15 years or less, your son might want to read about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's really cool! I may look into doing that next Christmas or for husband's next birthday as a gift. As far as we know, it belonged to my husband's grandfather, but we aren't sure before that. Unfortunately any family history likely perished with my husband's dad, but his aunt or uncle may know a little about it.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Hey AN,

Welcome to S&W!

Fine piece of Americana!

Good for you!

Am with the clean/lube/shoot a bit crowd....LOL

Enjoy.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the pics. We love to look at other's treasures and share our own.

As many stated, you owe it to yourself to take it to the range at least once. They just don't make them like that anymore.

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Here i was thinking this was an only boys club.
Not quite...exactly! :)

I think both me and my husband brought about the same number of firearms into the marriage, some he has all to his own such as the .450 Marlin, but most others I like also. No need for me to bust my shoulder up. :) And on S&W revolvers I tend to favor K frame Smiths while his favorites are N frames.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts