Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using one camping out? I'm in the middle of unlearning many of the things that I use to know ;) Having learned to use one of these type point blankets...I doubt I'll ever go back to a sleeping bag. Learning to make a good camp fire and how to use a tent to reflect the heat, kinda make a bag pretty useless :mrgreen:

Anyrate, they are pricey. You have to hit the thrift shops and the fleamarkets to find one that is less then the national debt. I found a 4 pointer today for 75 bucks in new condition. Working on a new oilcloth to use a groundcloth for it this weekend....

giz

·
Registered
256 Posts
I got a couple... to nice to use outside. :D

I do plan to be buried in one... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When I was growing up I had one, long gone now unfortunately. A couple of them are on my list.
Back when I was a teen I knew a man in his 90s. He told me that when he was young, he packed one while hunting and would wrap himself up in it in the cold, staying warm and snug all day long on a stand, even in a north wind, or a snow storm. I don't doubt it's true.
The Indians often made capotes out of HB blankets. And in Jeremiah Johnson, I think there is a scene where he gives one to the Crow Chief?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I showed the one I just picked up to Jules...whatta mistake that was.... gmonn

So I guess I'm goin' to have to make do with my old one. I struck a deal that she has to go to Fall Ancient Ones 'Vous if she truly wants it...., heck... ~ I like her cookin' better than mine, anyways kfjdrfirii

giz

·
Registered
593 Posts
The 'rents had two. Me and my two brothers used them in
the 50's 60's. No idea where they are now, sisters probably.
Great blankets1 hpzl;n;

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
I have an old Army wool blanket that I would use inside my sleeping bag, for cold wheather camping. Trouble is........I rarely go camping at all, anymore. I've probably stayed at most of the Vermont State Campgrounds in the 80's and 90's.....but lately, I just can't seem to get fired up! :roll:

Life has become more serious, in my later years. Times have changed. It ain't the good old days, or the Golden Years....anymore.
:( Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,

Hell, the Golden Years is the biggest lie of all time...

We're entering the "Rust Years".... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
Giz, I wrote a long post, then , after rereading it, decided it was just too depressing.........so it was deleted! I had plans for an interesting and fun retirement.....then life happens..... :roll: Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little off topic,,,,

But, I hear ya'...Bob.

Still, the best thing is to get outside everyday. The Body appreciates the effort. The Mind and Soul only need to learn something new and engaging to stay healthy. It's when we stop learning and yearning for the new and challenging, that the mind turns on itself and does that thing it is most famous for....dwelling on the negative.

Hell, these days when I get up...I'm even learnin' to appreciate the fact that mowing the lawn is a good thing ;) ....

giz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts