Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Whelp......I don't shoot no ugly guns! :D All of my guns are in very good condition. I have shot them all. I will not buy a gun that I won't shoot.
Dang Bob . Who said any thing about "Ugly Guns".
Actually , what is an ugly gun ?
Someone always proudly refers to shooting every gun they own but there is a huge difference between shooting a gun (usually at a range or other controlled environment ) and using a gun (Slap it in a holster and carry all day , maybe in the line of duty maybe just doing the chores .) Using a gun will leave marks.
Good condition for a collector revolves around marks on the gun . For a using ,working gun condition revolves around bore , timing and shootability. Finish becomes quite secondary. If you are "using " a gun you can't be finicky about the finish.
I just think we too often disrespect the veterans that display honest wear that's well earned.

This indestructible mod.66 has had scratches and worse polished off so many times I swear it actually weighs less. :eek: Stainless makes an old beater always like new.

Collectability 0 ,,Maybe Ugly to some. But a great fearless to carry, beat around gun.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
That's just it. With stainless, who can tell? Little Flitz and a buffing wheel, looks like new. Who EDCs a 6.5" N frame anyway?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Beaters!

Hey :bluelogo:

Got a couple...:eek:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
My M&P 1905 1st change... acquired from the estate of a SFPD Sargent, sold by his Daughter. Lettered as being shipped to Pacific Hardware & Steel Co. in San Francisco on July 30, 1906, 3 months after the 1906 Earthquake.

For a 113 year old revolver, it still puts 148 gr. target wadcutter ammo into respectable groups... in fact it probably shoots better than what my aging eyes can muster from those fixed sights.

Old Ugly.JPG

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Who EDCs a 6.5" N frame anyway?
That's true but let's not leave out the hunters that can bring some serious exposure to a handgun.

When this mod 28 showed up it's front sight had been reduced to an unfixable serious mess. Mostly made of JB weld it left a lot of room for improvement. Short of a barrel swap no way to fix right. Simple fix was a dove tailed brass bead sight.
Rear sight was also trashed and got a modified blade replacement.

All this is freakish to a collector but gave a solid useable system back to a solid useable gun.

Funny thing is this sight system is the BEST long distance sight picture on any S&W I got. Simply put the round bead in the bottom of the rounded notch and whatever is on top of the bead gets a hole in it ,,,,,, go figure.

·
Registered
19,565 Posts
I DID say that my old, used, Police Trade-in M-36 was in Nickle.....it's almost as good a SS, for showing wear. I got it to be my CCW weapon, almost exclusively. I do carry others....but I'm very careful, and take very good care of everything that I own.

I've traded in my pick ups, that would be described as 'cherry condition', when they've got about 150K on them. Still usable.......but not 100% dependable any more. :rolleyes: Bob

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'll play.
How's about a 1917 commercial that got refinished in bumper chrome - over rust pitting.
Believe it or not it is still pretty tight and shoots great.

20180518_122646-2.JPG 20180518_122613-2.JPG Cylinder-Pits-2.JPG

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Beaters!

Hey Needs,

Everyone has one of these in their TOYBOX! :eek: (well don't they):confused::D

Depression Era Colt's Official Police, a chunk of Stainless Ruger Rifle Barrel, and a First Generation Bo-Mar Rib...

Today was such a great day, why I just had to feed it a brick...(fool thang, would have ate another brick...if I had let it) :D

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
I’ve sold three beaters to help pay for the recently acquired Models 29 and 37. One, an old no dash 36 with a cylinder that I tried to cold blue and it didn’t really take, the second was the 10-5 with lots of wear and the last one was the M49. Kinda regret the M49 but oh well.

As for remaining beaters, I have this old Enfield Jungle Carbine clone I describe in this thread:

Back To Original - Sort Of
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=23346&share_tid=4900&url=https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4900&share_type=t

And a finish challenged CZ Turkish Over/Under 12g that I hit really well with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
20190611_191755.jpg This old Model 317 "beater" enough? It's been carried thousands of miles in my 'go bag', shot rattlesnakes & fed me on several occasions. To say it's holster worn is a major understatement but it still shoots very well.
As a contrast there's my Model 63-5 that looks as good as the day it arrived.
20190611_124755.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here I guess is my well used and stored improperly (beaters). The top is my model 10, the poor thing was left in a foam case before I got it. I dont think it had ever been shot. Until me and my daughters. The next is a speed six, that I just got. Once again not shot a lot but alot of holster wear. The best for last my 27, this gun was given to me by my father in law at his passing. It has been shot a lot and holstered alot, but it functions and shoots as if it was new. I really love this gun. 20190611_215452.jpg

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Hey Leo, for a beater, that one is hard to beat!

Here's the only "beater" I own...
Click this bar to view the original image of 1304x979px.
I have more than a few beaters, long guns, shot guns and revolvers. They make for great field guns as their condition is easier to maintain after a day in the woods.
Here's a well worn pre model 18 that is a perfect hunting companion for those damp fall days. What's a little bluing loss got to do with function?

IMG_0697.JPG

Did I mention that I don't know any better than to stay out of the woods while it's raining?

John

21 - 39 of 39 Posts