Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully we all got some . A world full of 99% ,too nice to shoot guns is really kind of boring.

I'm betting before any of us developed a need to collect pristine examples we grew up with , packed around and shot plenty of well seasoned iron.

A good beater does not have to be a cheap gun . I'm thinking about a quality firearm that has had a life ,,,,and shows it.
Too often we see pictures of a like new , not even a turn line handgun , in a fresh new holster without a scratch or sweat stain claiming it's a every day carry piece.
I want to see the other ones.

Here's a Colt Official Police dating from 1940 or 41. Probably an old duty gun but not marked . Larger than a model 10 and Colt claimed it safely handled the high pressure loads that S&W built the HD 38/44 for.
Sporting ho-maid grips and a finish that looks to have worn out more than one holster,,,,,, but the gun shoots to the point of aim ,runs super smooth an timing is tight as a tick.

What ya got ?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
No pics, but I have a couple of prewar Regulation Police that have seen better days. They shoot fine, but aren't particularly "pretty". Also a M&P from the early 20's that has been buffed to nothing and nickeled. Great shooter, no collector value- it's my version of a Saturday night Special. I like it as a home defense gun- if the cops take it, I won't be crying (much).

Edit: my 1st model ladysmith (first month of production)

View attachment mGq69A9.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This ole Bisley has had over 100 years of fun in the sun . Still a little beautiful blue left on it but you have to look under the ejector rod housing to find it !

Just had an internal rebuild so should be good for another 100.

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
I have a little Colt 1908 Vest Pocket in 25 ACP with about 1-2% finish left. Is out getting a Cerakote finish and will post when get back.
a S&W 1905 4th change from 1917, and is challenged finish wise and grips show wear but still shoots right where you aim it and is very smooth and reliable.
before 1.jpg
thumbnail5.jpg

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Here's a finish challenged Colt 1903 that is 105 this year. The book might be worth more than the gun.
DSCN2269.JPG

1908 Colt Vest Pocket, could be worse, this is the better side.
DSCN1726.JPG

Police Positive 32. Worn and someone took a file to the front site. I still had to have it when I saw it.
DSCN0177.JPG

And my first S&W. Former policeman's Model 15-3
DSCN1582.JPG

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This little model 51 looks fine ,,,while it's still in its Simply Rugged Pancake holster.
When you take it out it shows its age and mileage .
Been a good buddy and on the one of the last to go list. Despite what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Ugly fine shooters

This 1957 Combat Masterpiece has seen plenty of use. It has been heavily sanded and reblued and used some more but is smooth, accurate and my favorite 38 special shooter.

K38- 1957 Combat Masterpiece.JPG

Here are some well used but perfectly functioning 38 special police trade-ins including two from Australia. The 3" on the bottom is showing a lot of bluing loss but I fixed that with a black Sharpie :)...looks good and currently resides loaded in my desk drawer.

Police trade ins from Buds -2014-15.jpg

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Back in 2013, a forum member who is no longer active had a Karma thread. He said he would send an old beat up pre model 10 to the winner and it really needed cleaned Drawing was open to anyone who didn’t have a S&W revolver. I had S&W semi autos, but no revolvers. I won the drawing. Here is the gun I got, after I cleaned it up and added a Tyler T. Was dull black when I got it but a good cleaning brought out some shine
75A20041-C595-4D70-8F05-7C94CCB4CAA9.jpeg

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
The closest thing to a "beater gun" would be my first S&W revolver, my model 360. I picked it up used at a LGS, the finish was kinda rough in spots where it was worn off. I cleaned it up and also swapped out the front sight for a Big Dot Tritium sight. Also took off the older grips and replaced them with Altamont grips.:cool:

20171102_184137-1.jpg

·
Registered
19,565 Posts
Whelp......I don't shoot no ugly guns! :D All of my guns are in very good condition.......only my 2" Nickle M-36 is not 98%+. I bought it as a Police Trade In, to be my main CCW. Still......it's about 90%+. I have shot them all.......some a little...others a lot. I figure that guns are made to be shot! I will not buy a gun that I won't shoot. I have only very common guns, but nice......not collecters. Bob

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Whelp......I don't shoot no ugly guns! :D All of my guns are in very good condition.......only my 2" Nickle M-36 is not 98%+. I bought it as a Police Trade In, to be my main CCW. Still......it's about 90%+. I have shot them all.......some a little...others a lot. I figure that guns are made to be shot! I will not buy a gun that I won't shoot. I have only very common guns, but nice......not collecters. Bob
I shoot everything I own. "Collectible" or not.

E.G. Pre-mod 26 in 45 LC. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Only 'beater' I own I gave to my wife, the Ruger Mark I 22 pistol I bought when I was 18 in Cleveland, Ohio. It looks rough. bluing is about gone but it goes bang every time, don't care what it eats and has dispatched countless vermin that come up on the deck to eat the cat food. I don't believe I've cleaned it in 10 years at least.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts