Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Where I grew up in East Tennessee, it was always called a "dope", as in "Ma'am, I'd like a big orange dope and a Moon pie please"
I was told on good authority that proper terminology is "RC Cola and a Moon Pie."

I plead guilty to loving orange soft drinks way back when, but what we drank up in Cleveland Ohio when I was a teenager was Bireley's (non carbonated) and that was a special treat only. OH, and then there was the even more special (drug store soda fountain only) cherry coke, where they squished the syrups in and added the carbonated water. So special. And I am SOoooo old.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was told on good authority that proper terminology is "RC Cola and a Moon Pie."

I plead guilty to loving orange soft drinks way back when, but what we drank up in Cleveland Ohio when I was a teenager was Bireley's (non carbonated) and that was a special treat only. OH, and then there was the even more special (drug store soda fountain only) cherry coke, where they squished the syrups in and added the carbonated water. So special. And I am SOoooo old.
Shoot, don't make me pull references on ye now!
dope-is-a-soft-drink...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wonder: Do you think that by some really far fetched strange reason (highly unlikely) that the term "dope" came from the fact that original Coke had cocaine in it?

The original Coca-Cola DID contain cocaine, it is a bit unlikely that the mountain folk knew that cocaine was dope back whenever the term began. But one never knows does one?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

I've had more than one RC & a Moon pie :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wonder: Do you think that by some really far fetched strange reason (highly unlikely) that the term "dope" came from the fact that original Coke had cocaine in it?

The original Coca-Cola DID contain cocaine, it is a bit unlikely that the mountain folk knew that cocaine was dope back whenever the term began. But one never knows does one?
That's the common idea that I've always heard, but I really don't know. It's funny, because when I DID go to look this up, I was kinda surprised at how LITTLE I could find about the slang "dope" for soft drinks, but when I did find stuff, it was actually pretty darn local to the E. Tennessee area, which, incidentally is where I always heard it while bagging groceries at the local IGA store in Sevierville.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
You wanna 'strawberry coke or an orange coke'?
Hey EZ,

What I wouldn't give..............for an old fashioned.............VANILLA PHOSPHATE!

When the Drug Store had a Soda Fountain!

Penny Candy!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jpr

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
The best ICE CREAM in the whole world...

Was NORTH POLE ICE CREAM, right on Penn Ave, two blocks up from Allegheny Cemetery.. in the Garfield Neighborhood of Pittsburgh...

Their Ice Cream was sooooooooooo GOOD!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree

Of course, we also had ISALY'S SKYSKRAPER KONES!

Hand Smile White Gesture Finger

Black Door Black-and-white Style Font

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
162 Posts
The best ICE CREAM in the whole world...

Was NORTH POLE ICE CREAM, right on Penn Ave, two blocks up from Allegheny Cemetery.. in the Garfield Neighborhood of Pittsburgh...

Their Ice Cream was sooooooooooo GOOD!

View attachment 527485

Of course, we also had ISALY'S SKYSKRAPER KONES!

View attachment 527486

View attachment 527487
I forgot “yinz “ wuz from Pittsburgh . My parents had a Grocery & Deli . As a kid & into my 20’s we shopped in the Strip District with my Dad … then solo ; for the “ Store”
Great nostalgic pics. BTW. always Pop In the Burgh.
“Hire’s Root Beer “ was my Fav.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
I forgot “yinz “ wuz from Pittsburgh . My parents had a Grocery & Deli . As a kid & into my 20’s we shopped in the Strip District with my Dad … then solo ; for the “ Store”
Great nostalgic pics. BTW. always Pop In the Burgh.
“Hire’s Root Beer “ was my Fav.
Hey RP,

Where/when abouts?

Do you recall the PENNSYLVANIA MACARONI CO.? (down the Strip?)...

Benkowitz. Wholey's....

Coca Cola had a bottling plant on Center Ave, at Negley. (Shadyside)

Pepsi in the "Rocks" (McKees Rocks)..

The "German Butcher Shop" on the North Side (a block from the WHITE TOWER?)?

Streetcars (they ran 'til I was a grown man)....

How about the "South Side Soft Pretzel Shoppe"? (its still there)

Later, Mark

Reactions: Ratpacker

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
162 Posts
Yeah, I am fairly acquainted with Nino Sunseri ( Penn Mac.) what a funny guy ?
The South Side stores & Tavern Owners Got a lot of my money over the years.
Semi Retired now … but I was a Feature on the Gateway Clipper Cruises & Luncheon sight seeing tours . 9 years.
( Tribute to Dean Martin or Frank & Dean show)

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
Hey RP,

May well have seen you on one of the cruises!

Fun Times!

Best place to watch the 3 Rivers Regatta? Gateway Party Liner!! (late '70's?)

Later, Mark

Reactions: Ratpacker

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You guys must be pretty old......older than me, anyway! A Phosphate?????? :rolleyes: Bob
I'm beyond pretty old, to real old:

That was a soda fountain carbonated drink made from a squirt of whatever flavor plus carbonated water. There was NO substitute for a drug store soda fountain drink. When canned "pop" came out, any flavor that sounded the same was not. It just was not.

A "touch" of phosphoric acid in the mix made it a true phosphate. They lost popularity (but not gone) in the 1930's being replaced by "ice cream sodas" which were also sode fountain concoctions. Another fond memory of my youth is the vanilla ice cream soda which was basically a vanilla phosphate with scoop(s) of vanilla ice cream added.

Actually, Dr. Pepper came the closest to a fountain cherry coke, but only if you had not had a real one for a long time.

This is fun: Any other historic questions?

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
You guys must be pretty old......older than me, anyway! A Phosphate?????? :rolleyes: Bob
Hey Bob,

You just led a sheltered life......... 🤣

Hey Shooter Granny,

Do you recall?.........at the Drug Store....an Orange Crush Float (you were speakin' of ice cream sodas)....??

Oh! They were so HEAVENLY!

Food Tableware Fruit Ingredient Juice

Yesteryear! What a wonderful place!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey Bob,

You just led a sheltered life......... 🤣

Hey Shooter Granny,

Do you recall?.........at the Drug Store....an Orange Crush Float (you were speakin' of ice cream sodas)....??

Oh! They were so HEAVENLY!

View attachment 527637

Yesteryear! What a wonderful place!

Later, Mark
Never tried an orange crush ice cream soda, but I did sort of enjoy a very occasional orange creamsickle bar. I am picky about what flavors I like with other flavors.

A super duper treat once in a blue moon in the summer would be when we kids were out playing in the street (street ball or badmitten with net strung across the street itself), the parents would chip in and someone would go for a "bulk" gallon of root beer and a big tub of ice cream for "Boston coolers" for everyone. My memory is failing me on the brand, but I think it might have been A&W because you had to go to where they poured it from bulk vats into those take home bottles. The taste was far superior (rich!) to anything now or then in a can or store bottle.

I am pretty sure that in Boston this drink was called a root beer float, but in the midwest where I lived it was a Boston cooler. 🥴

21 - 38 of 38 Posts