Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 3 years ago I attended a gun show with Curt360 and ended up buying this
Text Font

Or at least thats how it was listed. I traded the guy a Browning Buckmark that I had $300 in, along with $205. The $205was part of the $250 I got for a rifle about 5 minutes earlier at the show. I had $180 into the rifle.
The revolver I got didnt look all that great. I wasnt sure if it was crud or a finish problem so when I got home I started cleaning it. I found that it was in just about perfect condition....I’d call it 96% at worst.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Hand Finger Font Drawing Thumb

I also discovered a few other things. One is that the grips are original. Hard to see unless you tip them just right
Finger

Here is what else I found on the barrel flat.
Bumper

Diamond indicates a rebarrel according to Wiregrass Guy. Next I looked at the butt for a date and discovered this
Footwear Shoe Fashion accessory

Refinish-Standard .... the date is 9-79 . Along the way when trying to determine exactly what I had and when it was made, I kept thinking the barrel looked too short. I measured it and it was 3.5”. A pre 34 should have a 2 or 4 inch barrel. It was then I realized I had a pre-43, Airweight Kit Gun, made in 1955 by the way.
I am not looking for a value on this gun, but more for an idea of how a price is determined on one thats fairly uncommon, in beautiful condition, but factory rebarreled and refinished 40 years ago?
Shoots great too! Standard velocity CCI seems to agree with it
Yellow Child art Smile Paper Illustration

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Well, all factory work, so shouldn't be too much a hit value wise to most folks. Nice blue flat-latch kit guns are around $500 or so.
Hard core collectors would pass on it .

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, all factory work, so shouldn't be too much a hit value wise to most folks. Nice blue flat-latch kit guns are around $500 or so.
Hard core collectors would pass on it .
Yep, a hardcore collector would say it has 0% of the original factory finish and declare it worthless. I was happy to get a near perfect looking shooter, for the non-hardcore collector price

·
Registered
690 Posts
Man, that's a very interesting little Kit Gun! In MY mind, who cares if it's had a factory refinish and rebarrel? It's a factory job, and they were not THAT bad in '79, true, not as good as they crafted in the 50's maybe. And considering how nicely that shoots, that would not leave my collection. I did sell one Model 34, a 2" nickle, that I just never warmed up to.
How did you not notice the Airweight weight?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts