Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The box thread got me to thinking on how to visually tell when you encounter a phony box label. I got these two pictures off of Gunbroker (and have nothing to do with either), one shows an original label (top picture), and one shows the reproduction (i.e. phony) box labels (bottom picture). As you can see, the original box label has a dashed line just above where is says "front sight" and "wo". The repro labels have a solid line in that position. As was said in the other thread, those who try to pass off a box as original with one of these repro labels, is not being "above board". Buyer beware.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
There are other differences, but you're right on Ken... this is one very easy way to spot them....

Those that would 'tag' a Smith box would take their good looking sister to the Class Reunion Dance and pass her off as their fiance..... :roll:

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I bet there are many guys out there that can make a new lable look oringinal and it would be real hard to tell.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
There is a guy making a lot of money selling phony boxes and labels on ebay and gun broker. He claims they are NOS, rumor has it they come from China. He's been driving the Colt collectors nuts for years

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had an extra 52-2 box that I wanted to use it for my 41 as they are the same box. Found blank labels at an OGCA show, but it was not tall enough to cover original label. I am sure their are many faked items that have fooled experts.

Many years ago a major Colt collector had Arnold Chernoff a Colt expert, certify a Colt as original Colt engraving he had it on display with a letter from the engraver who faked it!

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,572 Posts
I like boxes, but I don't like them enough to pay high prices. :eek:

I never buy at the auction sites. I can find more than enough revolvers, boxes, tools, and docs from people that I know. I've never bought a fake one when they didn't tell me upfront. I am always just interested in the revolver anyway. ;)

I saw a 'blued' code on a gray (nickel) box once. I've seen later revolvers with solid-line blue boxes and older ones with broken-line blue boxes. I've seen blue boxes with no label ever attached. I figure those are worth ~$20. JMO.

Earlier solid-line:

Later broken-line:

Broken-line nickel:

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
'Caveat Emptor'........sure am glad I'm not a collector.......just too many fakes out there! I sold my original box for my K22 awhile ago. Sold the K22 a few years ago. I've got a 95%+ M-10-7 2" (it's been shot some) with near perfect box and papers (incl. S&W wrapping paper), but I have no good idea of what it's worth. Just read here that there's not much interest in .38's anymore. Anybody got any idea of what it could be worth? Bob

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Bob, a 10-7 in 95% w/ box would sell for around $450 here.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
.......sure am glad I'm not a collector.......just too many fakes out there! I sold my original box for my K22 awhile ago.
Bob,
I am not a collector as well. I do accumulate a few extra stuff that I like. I think the S&W revolver is a solid gun in .38 Special and has a good value. I have a Model 10-3 in 5" that I have FS only on the local markets for $450 (local market prices differ):

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think a lot of us could be faked out by a new box/label passed off as original if it were "distressed". I buy the gun for the gun not for the box. BTW where can these new labels/boxes be purchased? I need to get some original boxes to put with some revolvers. �� LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
I think a lot of us could be faked out by a new box/label passed off as original if it were "distressed".
The label is easy. The box is much harder to duplicate. Here is a S&W .357 box with a 5" barrel which isn't easy to duplicate (a broken-line box):

It doesn't belong to either one of these 5" .357 Magnum revolvers:

Reactions: Wiregrassguy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts