Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With Ammo being so hard to find and everyone trading back and forth I decided to call and make sure I did it Correctly. Here is what you need to know for shipping UPS..or FedEx. It is illegal to ship ammo thru the US Postal Service. Fines start at $10 grand.

On 2 sides of the package draw a rectangle, inside the rectangle write ORM-D. On the outside of the rectangle on the top part write cartridges, small arms. The package can not weight more then 66 pounds. The ammunition can not exceed 50 cal. ORM-D are only allowed to go in the ground system. You would have to take this package to a customer counter or schedule a pick up. UPS and FedEx Stores are not trained to take ORM-D. There are no additional fees for shipping ORM-D.

If you want you can create and print these labels on your home computer. There are no specific dimensions required. But I recommend at least 1.5" high by 3" wide and use a font size large enough that the print is clearly legible at arms length.

There is NO HAZMAT FEE for shipping loaded ammo. Hazmat is only for Gunpowder and boxed or loose Primers.
If you have any questions please call UPS at 1-800-554-9964. Also I attached a picture of the ORM-D sticker to show you an example.

As you can see they say no additional Charge so why risk it fellows. This is the way I'm doing it..
[HR][/HR]

ORM-D stickers can be purchased online for around $6 per roll/1000 stickers if you plan to ship much ammo to different people.
If you have any additional questions about this, please feel free to drop me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected]

** ORM-D is being replaced soon with another classification to avoid confusion over it's handling requirements.
I'm not certain what the new label is like, but as always there is no extra charge involved in shipping ammo.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I have on occasion needed to ship various quantities of ammunition. The above procedure has worked perfectly. Scheduling a pickup was extremely convenient at it saved a 82 mile round trip. It only cost $4 extra to have UPS come by the house and pickup the package. Be sure and keep the weight below 66 lbs. Use a cardboard box that has a bursting strength of 200 lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With Ammo being so hard to find and everyone trading back and forth I decided to call and make sure I did it Correctly. Here is what you need to know for shipping UPS..or FedEx

On 2 sides of the package draw a rectangle, inside the rectangle write ORM-D. On the outside of the rectangle on the top part write cartridges, small arms. The package can not weight more then 66 pounds. The ammunition can not exceed 50 cal. ORM-D are only allowed to go in the ground system. You would have to take this package to a customer counter or schedule a pick up. UPS and FedEx Stores are not trained to take ORM-D. There are no additional fees for shipping ORM-D.

Regards,
Gearchecker
All good info, outside labels amended earlier this year:

ORM-D « Daily Bulletin

Bill

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
So, to be sure I got this right: I can print the "new labels" as shown in the Required Shipping Label Limited Quantity pdf and affix them to the ammo shipment box, take them to UPS and I should be good to go?

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Jonesey, How does a guy send a pistol to a custom GS for work? I was told UPS won't ship pistols. I had to ship via FedEx. What a Fricking hassle. Now that I don't have an FFL it sucks sending ammo and firearms thru carriers. How about if I had a Curio & Relic's license? Hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C&R transfers will only work with firearms listed on the BATFE webstie for C&R.
They can be shipped thru the Postal service since they're all classed as antiques.
Any BP handgun can be shipped thru the Postal Service at any time, C&R or not.
I have my gunsmith here ship all of my handguns, since he can us the Post Office. He charges me actual shipping + $10 handling.
Good luck finding an easy or pleasant way to ship your guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts