Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this may seem weird, but I'm not sure the best route to sell a gun.
I've got a pre 34 I frame .22 kit gun. 2" barrel flat latch, target sights, orig grips, very nice condition, Jinx Letter, etc.
I would like to know its current value (crystal ball).
My question is:
Do I put it up for auction..or
If I can determing its value, list it for a fixed price.

I would appreciate sincere, honest input. .
thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the insight Bill. I have done some very limited research on it without much success on finding a comparable piece. Not being a "pristine, mint" item, I assume it falls between a nice .22 and a collectable (to someone)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have always had very good success with Gunbroker. Their fee is based in the final sales price and very fair in my opinion. I would say 5-7 percent. Don’t do a reserve auction on GB but start the bidding below what you want for the gun. This site would also be a great way to sell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, but part of my problem is the initial value of the gun to start the bidding process. I'm not sure I want to do the penny start, but on the other hand I don't want to be stupid on the asking price. I really think this could fill a collectors niche. Wish I were more into guns than Randall knives! I feel totally out of my element.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sir.
Take some outdoor pics of the gun. Post them in this thread. Quality pics in natural light. NOT direct sunlight.
Both sides of gun as a minimum. Better pics will help establish value.
Your gun is worth slightly more than an entry level Randall knife.
Pics.
1. S&W Model 25-5, 4 inch, with a Randall Model 25, 5 inch.
2. S&W Pre Model 27, 3 1/2 inch, with a Randall Model 27 Mini, 3 1/2 inch, Copper.
See, nothing to it
[email protected]
+1

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
DON’T do a penny auction on your gun. It is too risky. Wait until you get some good info about the value then start at what you want or a little lower. Good luck.

PS. I love and collect Randall’s also.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
If you look at closed auctions on Gun Broker and look for what guns like that have been selling for, not what people are asking, but what they have actually sold for you can get an idea of value. You have to sign in and go to the advanced feature to access the closed auctions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, this may seem weird, but I'm not sure the best route to sell a gun.
I've got a pre 34 I frame .22 kit gun. 2" barrel flat latch, target sights, orig grips, very nice condition, Jinx Letter, etc.
I would like to know its current value (crystal ball).
My question is:
Do I put it up for auction..or
If I can determing its value, list it for a fixed price.

I would appreciate sincere, honest input. .
thanks!
Look on Gunbroker. Surely you’ll find something similar. Ask what you want for it, and maybe you will get that or more. Worst that will happen is that you’ll have to lower your price. Guess what... You only pay when it sells, so don’t be afraid.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/810187415

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sir.
Selling thru an auction house or on consignment thru a gun store will cost you 20% of the selling price.
Some of the big boys like Rock Island charge 20%, but some are more and some are less. One local auction house that does a lot of regular firearm auctions charges 10%. I know another that's only 5%, but they don't have many regular firearm auctions, just a few guns tossed in with the regular household and farm items.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It's hard to put a value on your gun without seeing pictures. If in good condition with minimal finish wear it could bring between $500 - 700.
But regardless of how you decide to sell, you need to do a little digging locally first.
Over the past year I have sold guns via consignment at a local gun store, over the internet by posting here and on other sites, and by posting on local gun boards. I also have several guns that I have taken to an auction house for an upcoming sale at the end of next month.
My local GS charges 15% to consign. I also have to sign it over to them as it goes onto their book for FFL purposes, but they do not charge me to get it back if I change my mind. Some shops may charge to get it back so ask before you consign. In all cases where I consigned, it took a couple months but I got what I wanted out of them after their fee was deducted.
Selling on the internet will put you on the largest market. You can go with GB but I strongly suggest you try the forums first. There is a selling fee on GB, the forums have none. Either way you do need to line up an FFL to handle your shipping and that could cost anywhere between $25 to $75, or more. You can either factor the shipping into your price or state that the buyer pays shipping.
The cost of consigning to an auction house will vary. The place I,m using charges me 17% and have no buyers premium. They also advertise online well in advance of the sale, posting pictures and a description. They handle transfer and will ship to out of state buyers at no additional cost to myself. Other places locally here charge between 15 to 30% and may or may not have buyers premium or shipping services. A good auction house will get you top dollar for your gun and will certainly earn their keep.
Selling on a local internet classified board that allows gun sales costs little more than you time and gas money to meet with a seller. It will take some time to get top dollar and you need to approach any sale with sensible caution and keep in mind that the buyer is meeting with a stranger as well. Arraign to meet in a place convenient to both parties where a transfer can be made safely.
In all cases, good communications is the key to a successful transaction.
Good luck!

John

·
Registered
669 Posts
More specifically you have a "Model of 1953 New I frame 22/32 Kit Gun" and yes, it's a pre mod 34.

Is it a rd butt or square but and 3 or earlier 4 screw sideplate (one screw under the right side grip on both)?

Those features make a difference because this a is a collectible model. They go for more than the usual later J frame version (post 1960). From your description of condition, I'd call it a collectible shooter contingent on actually seeing it.

They usually get from $700 to $800 w/o the box and tools. You don't need to put in an auction to reach the right market. The two forum's classifieds (this and the blue one) will reach those that appreciate it's value the most, and that costs you nothing. Start at asking $800. But you'll need to show two good photos, one of each side.

Notice this one (linked above) doesn't even have matching # grips, does yours?
But it's a four screw and in about 99% finish with matching # box:

Good luck,
Jim

P.S. I'm also torn between guns and Randalls:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shame on the lot of you. oja;n Ignoring this poor guy’s OBVIOUS cry for help.

It’ll be ok, you don’t really need to sell any of your guns. I promise. Bologna sandwiches and Ramen noodles are perfectly nutritious and will absolutely sustain you for a while in order to save enough dough for your next Smith or Randall.

Sheesh! Fine bunch of “enablers” y’all turned out to be. :lol:

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Reactions: former173rd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice collection there! I've got the Applegate still in the box from 5-6 yrs ago.
Looks like GB will get the little I Frame at 1K. almost hate to see it go ��
Maybe I should post a group shot of my feeble blades for everyone's entertainment..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts