Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Spring is here, and it looks like your thoughts are turning to shotguns, and skeet or trap shooting! Nice...

Reactions: legelegel

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I disagree with that video clip. Three things that affect the lead the most are speed of the target...distance to the target, and ANGLE of trajectory. The speed of the shell has very little to do with the lead you will perceive. A 900fps load will only add 2-3" more lead at a 25 yard 90 degree crossing target, than a shell with 1300fps. This is hardly worth even considering compared to other more important factors. Been there done that..tens of thousands of times. I do love clays busting!! :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Yep, there are right ways and wrong ways, and the way you learned because you didn't have access to good instruction. I love shooting skeet, trap, and sporting clays. All of these things were deemed a "waste of shells" when I was a kid. To this day, when I mount ANY gun, my left eye shuts...always, every time.
Some subscribe to a sustained lead for killing a bird. I do not. If I'm shooting quail in a patch of timber or a tree row, I spot shoot 'em. Mount the gun and shoot through the next opening the bird will cross. For a longer shot on pheasants or ducks, I swing through 'em. "Butt, belly, beak, boom". It's may not be the method taught by instructors, but it's been working for me for the last 50 years or so. That's why quail are so hard to find now. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts