Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a .38 revolver she wants to get rid of. All I have is a serial number (she's not local and don't have any pix). If it is a S&W, is there somewhere on the web that I can go to identify the model, etc. from the serial number?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Unfortunately, the make would have to be known. If it is a S&W, the serial number may look familiar to some of us. If you post it, x'ing out the last 2 or 3 numbers, we may be able to take a stab at it... but the more information you can get would obviously make it better...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The serial number starts with BPP then four digits.

I guess I'll press my dad to get me a picture, again.

-Dave

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
That serial number could be a S&W number.. If it is, it would have left the factory in very late '93 or '94. But, without more info, it's going to be very difficult to tell you much more.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Carl... I was about to say the same thing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help.

I have a 4 inch 686 I bought used about a month ago. I was comparing it to a 6 inch GP100 and a Taurus Tracker. When compared side-by-side, the was no comparison! The S&W was so much smoother in the trigger and cylinder, and I'm so happy with the gun. I love shooting .357 magnum loads with it!

Anyway, it I get more info, I'll follow up in this thread.

- Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I finally ID'd this gun! I was at my dad's a couple of weekends ago and we got it out and did some research on the internet. It is a Model 37 airweight and looks like this:

Unfortunately, he doesn't have any box or papers, except the sales receipt. I told him he should be able to get about $500 for it. It's like new! He bought it for my mom and she's only shot it once, about 50 rnds.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
That gun is in great shape!

You may be just a bit high in your price estimation though. You may be able to get a private buyer to pay that much. Possibly. Keep in mind though, that if you are going to try to sell it to a gun store, you will get significantly less, as they need to turn a profit when they sell it.

I am willing to bet that, if priced right, someone here may just take that off your hands for you.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Your price is very optimistic in my view.... about half that is what I would expect to see a late, square butt, 2" 37 sell for.

Sure, asking prices may be higher, but when money actually changes hands, I'd be surprised to see it be more than $275 or so.... even in nickle.

Square butt guns just don't seem to sell nearly as well as round butts.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Somewhere between Oct. 93 and Jan.94 according to my third edition S&W Cat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
nice gun, easy box (common) to find for it and around here that gun would be in the $375 to $450 range....very nice looking gun, thats a keeper.. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.. can you help me with mine? the serial is 10D8XXX.. 38 all. mod 10-7 snub nose.. thank u.. I'd like to know what year it was made..

·
Premium Member
18,615 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! We need to see some pictures. It's required or the forum gremlins will rust your gun ;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts