Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some opinions on how to best holster a model 36 for concealed carry. I'm looking for ideas on the most comfort possible; for either inside the pocket or inside pants. I live in hot, sunny Florida and pretty much live in shorts and light weight shirts - that's the reason for not carrying up till now. The smallest print is the best. Up to now, I haven't carried on my person - only in rugs in the car. I have Pachmayr SJ-C compac grips on my 36, which makes for very comfortable shooting and good accuracy out to about 15 yards. However - the grips also make the 36 much more bulky than with stock grips. I want to keep the Pacymayrs since I really enjoy and shoot the 36 often.
Please offer opinions and suggestions - especially holster brands & models, etc.
Thx - RR hipnp

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I carry my 642-2 airweight in an uncle mike's IWB holster... apendix carry. It is very comfortable when standing, moving, and walking around. Does not print at all in jeans and a t-shirt.. and I tend to wear tighter fitting t-shirts to accentuate my hurculean physique :eek: Anywho... when sitting, including driving, all i do is shift the grip to my right a touch so it is not digging into my gut. Disappears after that for the most part...
But, what works for me may not work for you... good luck

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
My J-Carry Guns with hammers live in a older Galco 931 Thumbreak OWB Holster.... I literally forget I have it on.... these days the closest catalog item to the 931 is the "F.L.E.T.C.H. HIGH RIDE BELT HOLSTER".

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?P ... &GunID=102

The downside is that when I move over to Hammer-less guns like my favored 640-1 Centennial Magnums, this holster will not secure these.

So lately I've been working with a new holster as was given to me by REVORG one of our friends here, it's a "C.Q.C." by Blackhawk.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Speed- ... 9,1418.htm

This holster seems to be just as concealable as the Galco 931 and is just as comfortable... it works well and secures every 2" J I've put in it from a Kitgun to a Chief's Special to the Centennials and Bodyguards. It's a real winner even though it doesn't have a thumbbreak.

If you like rubber handles, my suggestion would be to try the Pachmyer "Open Back Professionals" as an alternative to the "Compacs".... they dampen the recoil with out appreciably adding to the bulk of the gun's stocks.... myself, I prefer standard factory Magna stocks and a Tyler T adaptor. To me the rubber stocks tend to cling and print with loose fitting shirts....

Drew

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Since your weather allows for wearing shorts, you can use a sleeve carry and simply slip in your front pocket too. I use an Uncle Mike's Sidekick sleeve, which I can wear inside the belt or simply put it in my pocket. During the winter with pants I go with an ankle holster.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I live in Florida too. I use an inexpensive Uncle Mike's Sidekick called a Size 36. It fits IWB near the gut or just slip it into your front pocket as a pocket holster. This rig also works very well with a Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I also like the Uncle Mike's IWB for casual carry of my M-36. I find that it slips out of the holster pretty easily, though, since the nylon is rather smooth and slippery. Strong side usually, but cross draw when I 'm driving the truck alot.

For serious carry of the M-36, when I'm active, I prefer a well fitted leather OWB or IWB. I don't use a thumb break holster for the J frame. It stays pretty secure in the leather holsters that are "fitted" to the model 36. ;) Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts