Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose the flipside to this thread should be; “How to spot a Troll on a gun website”! I have read most every Brad Thor and David Baldacci book that involves espionage, a common theme in them always involves spies, deep rooted spies that have immersed themselves into a community and built a cover for themselves, sometimes over years. I don’t think these talented authors were considering website Trolls in mind while writing so many entertaining tomes, because if they did, the story would be over quick; spy found, dealt with and no money to made on a new book, pretty simple. So having that in mind, I thought I’d throw out some basic Troll-minded to do’s in order to not be immediately un-masked.

• Don’t offer your first posts on whatever general lounge or political section might be available.
• If you don’t have a gun (which is likely) at least steal pictures from the internet and post them.
• Watch YouTube about gun basics, allowing you to at least “LIKE” a few other real gun posts.
• Look at the post counts of members and refrain from attacking the ones with high numbers.
• If there is a political post you disagree with, politely “LIKE” a few for at least a few days to provide cover.
• Don’t establish multiple account names and make the same above errors establishing a pattern.

I realize most of you don’t intend to go trolling, but as I noted above, you can use these bullet points as a way to recognize when a Troll is operating within your sphere. BEWARE! Now that I’ve posted this, be on the lookout for a thread soon that goes something like this:
“I have a 38 CTG Registered Magnum ammo handgun with 9mm wooded handles from Hauge”, I got it from my wife’s grandfather’s second wife and I love it, I fire it off every chance I get. I’m on the road and the hurricane has taken down my access to pictures.”

I hope this helps! For the record though, I want that gun described above, it really, really intrigues me! ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,377 Posts
Dog gone Stacy, you'll do anything to get a "like" in one of your posts!

Good Job brother!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Controlling influence through social media is a HUGE tool being used today. A good number of them are government employees using government computers on the Taxpayers’ time.
There are numerous ways and methods they use to control the direction of conversation, then opinion. (Use your search engine and you’ll find them. They will open your eyes unless you want to remain blind to how they control conversations.)
Trump’s Tweets are a huge tool to bypass the slanted and biased MSM reporting. Now the left leaning social media moguls are censoring posts, even the President’s.
i spend a lot of time on the Internet because I have little money and lessening mobility to do more productive things. I see a lot and it bothers me a great deal.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Some articles you might read;

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
From the second quote, this link has the alleged "proof." I only say alleged because it's the internet; anyone can claim anything. I've always assumed this to be true though, whether it's government (deep state) agencies doing it or just the non-governmental sociopaths that run the world.

This one reminds me of how some people on gun forums love to bash the NRA:

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Controlling influence through social media is a HUGE tool being used today. A good number of them are government employees using government computers on the Taxpayers’ time.
There are numerous ways and methods they use to control the direction of conversation, then opinion. (Use your search engine and you’ll find them. They will open your eyes unless you want to remain blind to how they control conversations.)
Trump’s Tweets are a huge tool to bypass the slanted and biased MSM reporting. Now the left leaning social media moguls are censoring posts, even the President’s.
i spend a lot of time on the Internet because I have little money and lessening mobility to do more productive things. I see a lot and it bothers me a great deal.
If you have Peacock TV like I do with Comcast you must watch "The Capture". And wonder to yourself can the NSA, CIA or who ever really do this because it seems possible. Or goggle "The Capture".

·
Premium Member
10,828 Posts
Because of my background I have had an interest in cryptography and intelligence work, and read extensively on the history of these things, with a focus on WW-II and post WW-II periods.

Counterintelligence and extensive programs of misdirection have always been part of conflict. Since the Internet is effectively a cartoon reflection on real life, why would things be different online?

Many of us have developed a sniff detector and can identify online trolling pretty fast.

In the real world, most of us can identify when something is out of order... perhaps it's body language, levels of ignorance or even how someone speaks about an issue... A number of the completely firearm ignorant people showing up at the gun shop I help at have triggered that instinct, so I start looking for hidden cameras.

Oddly, most of these people have shown up with a silent companion that stands slightly behind them and just watches and listens. It's probably because they are so uncomfortable engaging with something they fear and have always "been against", yet suddenly realize that they need.

I'm always operating at a number of levels, one if which is to try and understand what is motivating someone.... Trolls can be useful because they disclose the tactics and sometimes even the strategies of your opponents.

I tend to treat a vile troll with respect, while laughing on the inside. Don't tweak the mentally ill.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
One church that I attend has a social media director. Her job is to use social media to promote church functions and increase attendance. They hold her in high esteem.
some companies have shills to give outstanding reviews of their products. The Chinese Companies are the best are self promotion through the Internet. And the worst of humanity uses the Internet for evil intent with code words and symbology in social media.
meick is right that trolls are discernible and can unknowly reveal themselves and their intent.

Some are lone wolves but others work in groups. The Marxists (and unions) have used a few people spread widely through a meeting to make it appear a greater number support an issue, leading the sheep down a primrose path. Organized trolls can affect the group opinion on a whole forum affecting thousands of people.
And they do everyday on social media

·
Premium Member
10,828 Posts
Reactions: Curt360 and combat

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Gee did you get a email that the forum reverted back and is now worthy?

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
A couple years ago someone was on this forum and seemed to be asking about illegal class 3 weapons in a round about way. The mods quickly told him that train of thought wasnt welcome here. I always wondered if it wasnt a BATF agent trolling for someone to sell him illegal gun parts

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
A troll could be someone who tries to get another to post for him cause he has no balls. Most are wise to that wimp. *****.

Now ignore takes over for that wannabe mod.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
A troll could be someone who tries to get another to post for him cause he has no balls. Most are wise to that wimp. *.

Now ignore takes over for that wannabe mod.
Some people post a lot and say nothing. Anyone who disagrees with them or has another opinion is a troll to them. Then they resort to "ignore" because they can dish out nonsense but not take it. The state or claim many things and then do the opposite, There are many other things that can not be described here. At least they pick a suitable avatar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts