Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
20191202_181921.jpg I agree. Haha what impresses me is that someone did a really good job refinishing it and even did the color case hardening and it looks like legitimate color case hardening and not the chemical process that replicates the color pattern. It doesn't look bad with my others that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I have a later lettered Victory Model Navy from 1943. It's no where near as nice as the one, fake or not, that you have. That fact alone would have made me 'gun shy" (yes, pun was intended). Ironically, the creator of the imposter gave you the first clues when he put to many markings on it. If you do make a range gun out of it watch out to use lower powered ammo. Years ago, I tested some original WWII issue 38 and they didn't quite make 725 fps. Even allowing for some age degeneration, I wouldn't want to run a hot handload or factory +p thru a Victory model. Even though, the pedigree of the one you posted about is doubtful, it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yeah, it was poor judgement on my part by not looking over the entire revolver very closely. I should have spent a good minute or two just looking at the markings. I did the rookie mistake of getting "caught up in the moment" and merely glanced over the revolver instead of closely inspecting it. I just figured that it was a refinished revolver, not a faked refinished revolver that I later learned after spending 5 minutes of looking at the janky added markings. On the plus side, it came with a nice used 1944 Boyt USN holster with a cut off section of a cloth MG belt as ammo loops, so I have the start to a US Navy victory model revolver rig. I do not reload and I only run winchester white box .38 special and other similar brands of basic plinking .38 special in my victory model revolvers and I have not had any signs of issues. Maybe I will get a letter on this one day judt to ensure that it isn't what I wished and hoped it was, but I don't know. Too bad they didn't have a Black Friday special or Christmas special on pricing on authenticity letters. Haha

21 - 23 of 23 Posts