Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have owned this revolver for a while and, after looking at various websites, I have not found any for sale. I wonder if this 686-5 + 7 round pre-lock revolver, round butt
(4”) is becoming a rare and hard to find model. I also wonder what is its current market value.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
IIRC, the 686-4 was the first of the Plus models then came your model -5, (MIM, frame mounted firing pin, maybe other changes?) which was not around too long before the -6 showed up with the lock. Not sure I'd call it rare, perhaps scarce at best but I'd shoot and enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
The 686 Distinguished Combat Masterpiece L Frame with 7 shots went into production in late 1996 They were produced in 2 1/2 ,4 and 6 inch barrels. Smith an Wesson at that time was trying to keep the revolver alive against the sudden rise of the Auto Pistol. So adding the 7 th round was Smith Way of trying to compete with the Government model .45. The gun was very successful and they sold a TON of them. Its estimated that well over 10K of them were produced. Production stopped in late 2001. Original MSRP was $612.00 you really don't see many for sale because they are such good gun in the "prelock" ( Hillary Hole) gun and just wonderful and very accurate guns. I have one in 6 inch and just love it .

Congrats on your purchase. !! ?? MyGunsDec2015 010.JPG

Sorry Second gun was an accident . Its my 648

Attachments

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
The Dash 5 isn't particularly rare. The dash 4 is actually considered to be the pinnacle of 686 production as it had all the changes that many consider improvements, yet still had the forged hammer and trigger , Goncolo Alves Target Grips, as well as profile of the older guns. Dash 5 went to MIM hammer and trigger, rubber grips, as well as an internal firing pin which some see as cost cutting but not improvements.
In my area 4 inch 686 tops out at about $600, maybe a bit more for a really nice no dash through dash 4 with box and all, and the low end you see any for is $500 and they sell fast. Prices vary around the country and some places you could probably add 10%-15% to my estimates

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought a clean 686+-5 some years ago. I've never considered it rare or worth any more than any other pre lock 686 in similar condition. Plus, the MIM internals of the -5 are not considered particularly desirable:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Collecting recent guns for value appreciation is like waiting for the tide to come in.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
197 Posts
YankeeIronSights, Within my humble experience in having owned several no-dash, -3,-4,-5,-6, etc., yes. The no dash models would be considered more desirable by potential buyers than the -5 and -6. The -4s are generally considered at the top of the heap as far as desirable engineering changes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts