Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i recently received my great uncles old revolvers. Lucky me one had all the paper work! The other one is a 38 Smith Wesson fixed sights in assuming 5-6 inch barrel as it is not in front of me! My question here is around what year would this be and is this considered a model 10? Serial number is c1951xx
received_3893645360674116.jpg

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Not quite a Model 10 yet. Model numbers started in '56 IIRC and you gun is from 1949-1950 or so. C-series Pre Model 10 in collector-speak. A .38 Military & Police would have been the name on the box.

Reactions: jeepnut and combat

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! If you measure the barrel from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle, it should measure 6" which is a standard barrel length. A review of known ship dates for the .38 M&P indicates your gun shipped in late 1951 or early '52. Today, we would call this model a "pre-model 10" because it has the engineering design that existed when the model numbers started in 1957. The grips appear to be Jay Scott faux jigged bone. If you take them off, the name and model stamp of the grips should be on the wooden backing plate. If you want to replace them with period correct grips, look for sharp shouldered magnas with blue or black medallion washers.

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts