Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandfather left me his when he passed and I was wondering it's value so I would know what to insure it for. I think it's a nickel 5 screw with the flat latch and smooth ramp with pearl grips. It appears to be original and not refinished. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I'll post one.

·
Premium Member
18,387 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Depending on condition, I'd say between $900 and $1100. The upper end if the pearls are S&W. Even more if you have the original box.

Use the IMAGE feature (box icon with a tree) to insert images into your post. Make sure the pictures you want to upload from your computer are no larger than 800x800 pixels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serial # on frame @ open cylinder and butt of grip match and are 7xxx but I was worried about taking off the grips to check for # because of people talking about the pearl grips being so fragile. Any idea of the approx. age of my gun?

·
Premium Member
18,387 Posts
Yes, a beautiful early pre-M36. Give us the second SN 'cause 1952 started with 7369. This one could have shipped in '51.

The grips are aftermarket, but are valuable in their own right. If you want to change them, you'll have to look for grips made especially for the Baby Chief. Standard J frame grips won't fit. You don't need to take the pearls off for SN's because it is stamped on the bottom of the frame. Your SN should also be stamped under the barrel where the ejector rod docks and on the rear of the cylinder above the ejector star.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to check on that 2nd # after I get home this evening. Thank you guys for all the info, it took me forever to even figure out what I had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, a beautiful early pre-M36. Give us the second SN 'cause 1952 started with 7369. This one could have shipped in '51.

The grips are aftermarket, but are valuable in their own right. If you want to change them, you'll have to look for grips made especially for the Baby Chief. Standard J frame grips won't fit. You don't need to take the pearls off for SN's because it is stamped on the bottom of the frame. Your SN should also be stamped under the barrel where the ejector rod docks and on the rear of the cylinder above the ejector star.
Don't know why I thought it was a 7XXX, it's actually a 101XX. What approx age would that put it at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed in some of these threads it said the factory nickel Baby Chiefs had an "N" stamped on the frame under the grips. Mine has what appears to be an upside down "T" and a 31. Any idea what that means?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I noticed in some of these threads it said the factory nickel Baby Chiefs had an "N" stamped on the frame under the grips. Mine has what appears to be an upside down "T" and a 31. Any idea what that means?
From what I know, which is limited, those are called "production numbers". It just kept the pieces in place at the factory is all.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
mine has an N of the front side of the cylinder.

36nickelcylopen6.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts