Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always heard you will probably lose them before you wear them out. That may be true unless you are shooting them in a revolver. Here is an article where the author took some brand new Starline brass and a portable reloading set-up to the range with his 1911 to find out how many times the case could be loaded. He takes measurements & photos along the way to show how the brass gets shorter over time
I have been reloading for almost 5 years. The first ammo I reloaded was 38 Special & 45acp. I don't recall having to discard any 45 brass yet.
How many times can you reload a .45 ACP case? - MassReloading

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Interesting article. Thanks for posting jonesy814. I have several boxes of 45 brass that I loaded 18-20 times before I discarded them due to their being just beat up. Never heard about the case shortening though. I think going forward, I will discard at 12 to 15. That is about what I can get in my log that I keep for each box anyway.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting article. Thanks for posting jonesy814. I have several boxes of 45 brass that I loaded 18-20 times before I discarded them due to their being just beat up. Never heard about the case shortening though. I think going forward, I will discard at 12 to 15. That is about what I can get in my log that I keep for each box anyway.
He says he got to 30 before the primers started getting high, so your 18-20 times isn't unreasonable. What I load for my 625 is a fairly light load (230gr @less than 800fps), so the case should take less battering than his test examples. I remember someone on here saying that eventually the 45 brass would get shorter in the web (like the article) and get to where you cant load them in moon clips

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I have a bucket of 45ACP in excess of a thousand cases. Simply don't keep a record of how many times the cases have been fired. In my Bullseye shooting days at 50&25Yds I was more particular thus kept the cases distributed by head stamp, weight range and number of times fired. I also now shoot mostly humanoid targets at shorter ranges.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sort by headstamp, but don't worry about how many times they have been loaded

·
Registered
198 Posts
+1

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I sort brass by caliber. After the case / neck cracks, I reload the case 1 more time to be sure I didn't miss an x-ring hit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't shoot .45 ACP much any more, mainly because I don't like picking brass up off the ground. But my supply of brass has a piece of 1952 military brass that was still getting reloaded.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have thousands and rotate them so I probably will not live long enough to reload them enough to wear them out. I do inspect them and watch for loose primer pockets as much of what I have is range brass and could have been reloaded a lot. Not likely though as most of the people at the indoor range I use don't reload like most shooters in my area. That may be changing after the shortage if they are lucky enough to find components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts