Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...make a group 'legitimate'?

Was sighting in my Rem721 30.06 with various ammo. Shooting very small groups. But then again I was only shooting 2 or 3 rounds per group. On the other hand.. I was shooting these 'groups' consistently.

So.. does it count? ;)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My friend and I always banter this around. I sight-in a deer rifle with 3 rd. groups, he maintains it should be 5 rd. groups. I then ask him how many times has he ever shot a deer more than twice (or even 3 times) to bring it down. ???

·
Registered
504 Posts
I use a three shot gouping to sight in my rifles when I put a scope on. I have done this many more times on air rifles than firearms, but the basic principle holds true.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For sighting in, three is enough for me. Any more is a waste of ammunition. Unless, of course, I'm out there shooting for pleasure. Then it doesn't matter. Seeing how many bullets I can put in the X-ring or close to it is just too much fun to be counting beans or bullets.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Hey Dan!

I was so very pleased to read of your success with the 721 in '06.... It's a wonderful combination....

To me, a 3-shot group is good, but a 5-shot group tells more about consistency of a load and rifle combination. 5-shot groups can be a great confidence builder and separates an outstanding load from one that's only just good.

However, for best field performance, once a load is selected, whether with a 3- or 5-shot group, I forget about it and concentrate on cold-bore, clean-bore first shot placement and sight adjustment. I believe this to be the best preparation one can make for your hunting trip and a step that surprisingly few hunters will actually undertake.

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
I like one shot groups!!!! :lol: Always one hole......doesn't waste ammo........ :roll: Just zero it in!!! happyroller

Not really!!!! I shoot 3 shot groups, then let the barrel cool down, before shooting again. When hunting, all of your shots are from a cold barrel. Therefore, I believe that the 1st shot, from a cold barrel, is the most important.

For range or target shooting, I find that my POI is different for a hot barrel. ;) Bob

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input gents.
As I said, the groups I was shooting were 2 or 3 shots. I could shoot 3 of these groups on the same target and was getting several 'groups' as small as 5/8" at 100 yards.. which blew me away.
Loosest groups were with the heaviest ammo I tried (180gr Remington) which doesn't really surprise me, though the 180gr Hornady was considerably tighter.
I'll take some pics of the targets and such in a day or 2.

Another Q:
How many put one round through the barrel BEFORE hunting? First round through a clean barrel always prints a little low, no?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I have a nephew that is fond of 'fowling shots' but he is a bit lax in cleaning barrels anyway. As others have said, the first shot from a clean bore is the only one I care about

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.