Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
No such thing as too many magazines. No such thing as too much ammo . . . Unless you have to carry the load.

Capacity: 10s, 20s and 30s. Ten rounders for bullseye competition. Stages are usually 10 rounds and often with a required mag change. Carrying bigger is silly. When shooting prone, any more than a twenty drags on the ground. In comp, it’s illegal to use the mag as a monopod. Thirty rounders are loaded and ready if the need arises or just burning rounds at the range.

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Registered
20 Posts
For my M&P 15, I have a total of 6 magazines. 4 are 30-round; 2 are 40 round.

I kind of regret buying the 40-round mags, since the size and weight makes the gun harder to handle.

Anyhow, I keep 2 30-round magazines loaded with soft points (which I cycle through every year or so - at least, that is the plan).

The other 4 magazines give me 140 rounds at the range without having to reload a magazine, which is sufficient for me. I do tend to keep them loaded with FMJs between range sessions, though. I don't keep these magazines loaded expecting SHTF to happen, though. It's just to make it more convenient to head to the range when I feel like it.

60 rounds of soft point even seems excessive for any likely scenario. And, I would still have the 140 rounds of FMJs to fall back on.

How many magazines do you have and why? Do you keep them loaded? With what?
I have 2 thirties, half loaded for spring life. 1 twenty fully loaded and one 20 empty. All are near a battle pack for quick loads for the range.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts