Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just came across this thread, thanks a lot, haha. Got a few more 30 rounders dirt cheap and a 60 rounder, all Pmags. I wanted the 100 rounder (monkey nuts) just for the intimidation/cool factor but my practical mind says no. If SHTF more is better than less right? I've never served but one use of excessive magazines would be the ability to lay down cover fire while the hero/heroine runs and does the important thing that stops the bad guy and saves the world.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
They are fairly cheap at $9 to $14 each and They may not always be around to buy
At $9 I usually buy more, though lately it's been more like $10 when they're on sale.

I try to have enough that I don't have to load mags for any gun at the range. I think I'm there.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
The 25 round magazines for the 15-22 are kind of slow to load, so I load them the night before a range trip. I load 4 of the factory 25 round, 2 factory, short 10 round and 2 aftermarket Promag that hold 32 each. That gives me 184 rounds loaded to start with. I have 4 or 5 more factory 25 round mags still in the package for when I wear out what I am using.
I have noticed quite a few posts about the lack of 15-22 magazines. I bought my rifle just 3 days after the Sandy Hook shooting. The shop had them on sale and they were throwing in an extra magazine. It was crazy. A monday morning and the place was packed. People were leaving the store with handcarts full of ammo. I saw what was happening and asked to also buy and extra magazine, so I left the shop with 3. They were out of stock everywhere by the end of that week, but I had ordered the 2 Promags after reading reviews saying they worked, and they do. A year later and things were getting back to normal. An online retailer had them on sale for $12-13 so I stocked up

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I'm not so sure Dementia Joe knows yet exactly what his party plans to do to us. :confused:

Here in MA, we have some interesting challenges re: hi-cap magazines, loaded or otherwise. Right now, they must be pre-ban (pre-1994) to be legal... and pre-bans tend to be very expensive. So what happens once Uncle Joe gets done with us? Will Federal law trump state law? Or will state law trump Federal law? We here behind enemy lines might actually benefit if a new Federal law wipes out the various state laws... although I'm not going to hold my breath on that hope. :confused:

Concerning loaded magazines, MA has a regulation that requires ammo to be stored in its original containers (meaning original factory boxes). So are you in violation if you load a bunch of 30-round AR magazines and store them that way long-term? Technically, yes... although you might have to look hard to find any gunowner who really cares.

I'll admit that I don't generally store my magazines loaded. I probably should, but I don't. Just a personal preference.
I have quite a few revolvers but only a few pistols. I don't keep the mags loaded bcuz it is my understanding that keeping mags loaded long-term can cause the spring(s) to compress. Same reason why I don't store my shotgun with the weight resting on the recoil pad. Sounds about right?

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Reactions: M48a1

·
Super Moderator
15,098 Posts
In quality magazines, the springs are made of an alloy that will not take a "set" when they are compressed.

Forget about this urban legend. Load 'em and shoot 'em at your leisure. And don't buy cheap after market magazines.

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
Same reason why I don't store my shotgun with the weight resting on the recoil pad. Sounds about right?
Funny you should mention that! I was just in a shop today and someone was looking at a brand new imported $6K double barrel 10-gauge... with a partially crushed-in recoil pad. :oops: Not just compressed... actually damaged. :ROFLMAO:

Shop owner says they all come through that way. Go figure. :giggle:

Reactions: 5150

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have twenty P-Mags, but gave half to my son, since I also gave him my Sig Patrol 516 (got too heavy for me in myi old age, so I bought a MP-15 Sport II for myself)...but what matters is how many loaded mags can you carry around if necessary...and if the barrel gets too hot, are you still going to be able to shoot it? What one should think about is having a second AR so the barrel can cool down if necessary.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
In quality magazines, the springs are made of an alloy that will not take a "set" when they are compressed.

Forget about this urban legend. Load 'em and shoot 'em at your leisure. And don't buy cheap after market magazines.
I have a buddy that this "urban legend" happened to.
But then, maybe he was buying cheap-ass magazines.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to have twenty P-Mags, but gave half to my son, since I also gave him my Sig Patrol 516 (got too heavy for me in myi old age, so I bought a MP-15 Sport II for myself)...but what matters is how many loaded mags can you carry around if necessary...and if the barrel gets too hot, are you still going to be able to shoot it? What one should think about is having a second AR so the barrel can cool down if necessary.
The barrel does get pretty hot at around 150 rounds, but if you're in that much trouble I doubt you'd notice your hot hands...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a buddy that this "urban legend" happened to.
But then, maybe he was buying cheap-ass magazines.

I've had my SW9VE for over 10 years, I always leave the magazines loaded and I once went 3 years without shooting it. Still works fine. Now that I think of it, I'll work it into my next range trip!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
K1,

Given back problems, 1-30 round in the gun and 3 others on a belt with suspenders.

If that's not enough, I have a someone able to quickly do magazine reloading...me espousa.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like the 40 round Pmags best, the 60 round ones are too expensive and harder to carry/store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For my M&P 15, I have a total of 6 magazines. 4 are 30-round; 2 are 40 round.

I kind of regret buying the 40-round mags, since the size and weight makes the gun harder to handle.

Anyhow, I keep 2 30-round magazines loaded with soft points (which I cycle through every year or so - at least, that is the plan).

The other 4 magazines give me 140 rounds at the range without having to reload a magazine, which is sufficient for me. I do tend to keep them loaded with FMJs between range sessions, though. I don't keep these magazines loaded expecting SHTF to happen, though. It's just to make it more convenient to head to the range when I feel like it.

60 rounds of soft point even seems excessive for any likely scenario. And, I would still have the 140 rounds of FMJs to fall back on.

How many magazines do you have and why? Do you keep them loaded? With what?
I have many different types but my favorite are the Magpul and Colt aluminum. I prefer Magpul because they are solid performers and feel good in my hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depending upon the number of rounds I have for a specific caliber, goes to determining how many mags I have. The exception is .22LR. During the last/latest shortage, two acquaintances were short on cash and wanted to sell 5k in .22 LR. I got a great deal on them even though I don't particularly like to shoot .22LR myself. I am more of a .22 Mag kinda guy which is for my Rem 597 semi-auto. I have ten mags because shortly after I bought the used rifle, I thought that it was the mags that was causing the FTE's. I bought different versions of the mags for the rifle, including some original plastic mags which worked very well.
For my .45 acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, I thought I would only need three each, but I got a good deal on my 9mm "mousetrap" mags for my Browning HP, so I got a total of five and five for each of my handguns. Next to my Benelli M2 which doesn't take mags, my fave long gun is my new S&W M&P Sport II in 5.56. When I go to the range, I don't like having to reload there and I ended up having twenty mags for it. They were originally for my Sig Patrol 516 which got too heavy for me in my old age and that is why I ended up getting the M&P. I gave my Sig to my son for his B-day along with ten mags.
Somehow, I still feel one can never have enough loaded mags. So as Long as I can afford the ammo and the mags, I will continue to buy them...

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Most of mine don't require magazines anyway and the ones I have, I may have multiple magazines for depending entirely on the piece and caliber and the intended end use.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My rifle came with one 30 rounder and I picked up a couple more for some reason but I prefer 20s because it's what I used to carry in my M-16. I do have a couple 10s for my Ruger bot action because it seems to take forever to go through a 20 rounder.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
With me, depends entirely on caliber and intended use. Having said that I do own a couple 100 round drums for my 223.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts