Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my M&P 15, I have a total of 6 magazines. 4 are 30-round; 2 are 40 round.

I kind of regret buying the 40-round mags, since the size and weight makes the gun harder to handle.

Anyhow, I keep 2 30-round magazines loaded with soft points (which I cycle through every year or so - at least, that is the plan).

The other 4 magazines give me 140 rounds at the range without having to reload a magazine, which is sufficient for me. I do tend to keep them loaded with FMJs between range sessions, though. I don't keep these magazines loaded expecting SHTF to happen, though. It's just to make it more convenient to head to the range when I feel like it.

60 rounds of soft point even seems excessive for any likely scenario. And, I would still have the 140 rounds of FMJs to fall back on.

How many magazines do you have and why? Do you keep them loaded? With what?

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
I have somewhere around 40 loaded 30 rounders. One 40 rounder, loaded and a magpul 100 round drum loaded.

Lost in the woods... Hopefully.
Same deal for me except for my Mini 14 instead. The drum makes it very front heavy. Bipod necessary. Think I have around 2000 rounds besides the ones that are loaded in magazines.

·
Registered
16,930 Posts
I have 5 or 6 of the 20 round magazines and about the same of 30 round magazines. I do have more that are still in the package because they were cheap and available at the time. I think I only have one 20 round magazine loaded right now

·
Super Moderator
15,134 Posts
I keep an ammo can full of AR magazines loaded. Also quick grab and go cloth carriers.

Get some 20 round mags for use at the range. They will clear the bench and any stand you use better...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same deal for me except for my Mini 14 instead. You are in good company. Keep my range mags filled w/FMJ
Keep my home defense loaded with Federal soft points. My mags are 30 rounders.....(not 40's like the OP)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Going to the gun store tomorrow. Supposedly to get ammo and a few mags but it depends on what catches my wife's eye that determines what we actually get. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
In reality, most of my guns don't take magazines at all. Most are hunting rifles with floor plates so fully loaded, they take 4 in the belly and one in battery.

The exception is my Mini and the 338 Savage but the 338 is absurdly heavy with a 5 round mag anyway. and the mags aren't a cheap date. Typically, just north of 100 bucks a pop.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK... so how about the second part of my question.

Why?

I want to have a couple of mags loaded with SP rounds for home defense, so 2 30-rounders for that.

I also want to be able to have a useful range session without reloading mags, so 2 30-rounders and 2 40-rounders for that (gives me 140 rounds total at the range).

What is your reason for your number?

·
Super Moderator
37,248 Posts
OK... so how about the second part of my question.

Why?

I want to have a couple of mags loaded with SP rounds for home defense, so 2 30-rounders for that.

I also want to be able to have a useful range session without reloading mags, so 2 30-rounders and 2 40-rounders for that (gives me 140 rounds total at the range).

What is your reason for your number?
Just because that is what we want to have. The best reason to have anything firearms or firearm related.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I load my 30-rounds magazines with 20 rounds.
  • the weight of a fully loaded magazines becomes to heavy for me.
  • the weight of the firearm and the weight of the range bag

I have never shot my 40-rounds magazines

I do like doing magazine dumps so when my grandson is here to help, he loads them all the way.

Concerning magazines -- I recommend buying as many as you can. Under the proposed legislation from POTUS Biden, what magazines you own before the ban will be grandfathered-in. They will remain legal and sellable.

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
Concerning magazines -- I recommend buying as many as you can. Under the proposed legislation from POTUS Biden, what magazines you own before the ban will be grandfathered-in. They will remain legal and salable.
I'm not so sure Dementia Joe knows yet exactly what his party plans to do to us. :confused:

Here in MA, we have some interesting challenges re: hi-cap magazines, loaded or otherwise. Right now, they must be pre-ban (pre-1994) to be legal... and pre-bans tend to be very expensive. So what happens once Uncle Joe gets done with us? Will Federal law trump state law? Or will state law trump Federal law? We here behind enemy lines might actually benefit if a new Federal law wipes out the various state laws... although I'm not going to hold my breath on that hope. :confused:

Concerning loaded magazines, MA has a regulation that requires ammo to be stored in its original containers (meaning original factory boxes). So are you in violation if you load a bunch of 30-round AR magazines and store them that way long-term? Technically, yes... although you might have to look hard to find any gunowner who really cares.

I'll admit that I don't generally store my magazines loaded. I probably should, but I don't. Just a personal preference.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
For my M&P 15, I have a total of 6 magazines. 4 are 30-round; 2 are 40 round.

I kind of regret buying the 40-round mags, since the size and weight makes the gun harder to handle.

Anyhow, I keep 2 30-round magazines loaded with soft points (which I cycle through every year or so - at least, that is the plan).

The other 4 magazines give me 140 rounds at the range without having to reload a magazine, which is sufficient for me. I do tend to keep them loaded with FMJs between range sessions, though. I don't keep these magazines loaded expecting SHTF to happen, though. It's just to make it more convenient to head to the range when I feel like it.

60 rounds of soft point even seems excessive for any likely scenario. And, I would still have the 140 rounds of FMJs to fall back on.

How many magazines do you have and why? Do you keep them loaded? With what?
Good Stuff here. Right now I have 4-30's and they are typically loaded and ready to go in my Go Bag. Range Rounds pretty much.....the least expensive .223 or .556. Ha Ha. Anyway. Like others in this string....Stock up....B4 you can't or you can't afford them anymore. PLEASE stay tuned into what the KOOK'S in DC are doing and engage with your Congressmen often. 🇺🇸 ⚓

1 - 20 of 46 Posts