Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have observed before that it really doesn't matter how much ammo you have unless it is loaded in mags where it can be used now!

In light of current events, how many mags for current events? Current events are different than home defense. For home defense, one or two magazines should be plenty. But now we are facing crowds and mobs and fleeing your home or whatever situation.

How many mags would you consider prudent to have available? Pistol and/or Rifle.

• Ruger American FS pistol - 3 mags 9mm HP 17 rds each = 51+1 = 52
  • S&W Shield 9mm 1 7 rd + 4 8 rds (lost 2 and then found them. Glad now it happened.) = 39. +1 = 40
(As this is EDC one mag in console of car)
  • 44 S&W Special revolver (1926?) 5 rounds. = 5
  • S&W Sport II 5.56 5 mags x 30 = 150.

Total = 247 ready to go.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have several Glock G22 mags in the dresser in the bedroom. Have all three Glocks in there usually, The G22, G23 and G27. I like the fact the shorter ones can take the longer mags. I have my G23 on me now with a 15 round G22 mag on the other hip, backed up by my S&W M340PD and two 6 round Biqanchi Speed Strips and a Spyderco Delica.
I figger I can handle anything.:cool:
Jim

·
Premium Member
12,289 Posts
I have a loaded mag in the Ruger 9mm 1911, one by its side and four others scattered throughout the house.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ten that I can think of offhand. Five for various 9mm pistols, three for a 45 ACP, two for a 32 auto and 5-6 rds in an elastic band on a Rem 870 12 gauge. In addition, there is a Katana (long sword), a Wakisashi (short sword), a long blade D guard bowie and an Indian Kukra fighting knife. Just for good measure, there are two almost 100 lb dogs in the house that don't like strangers. I think all the bases are covered!

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
As of the last riot ;)
Thompson: 4 30 rd sticks, 2 50 rd drums, 1 100 rd drum.
Sar K2- 5 14 rd
Pre 29- cyl + 4 speedloaders
Sp-01 2 18 rd
AR-15- 4 30 rd.

·
Registered
82 Posts

It's a Colt Government Model Enhanced in .38 Super. Ten round magazine and one in the pipe. I carry another 10 round magazine in an soft pouch like eyeglass case in my left front pocket.
Those eyeglass cases are perfect for keeping the pocket lint out of your magazines.

I carry this one because I'm accurate with it and comfortable carrying it.
This pistol is stainless steel and it's heavy, so a .38 Super is easy to control for follow up, if necessary.
It's a 1993 vintage that came with rubber wraparound grips. The stag grips are thin but they work with standard grip bushings with slim grip screws.

The Enhanced line from Colt offered some of the most popular upgrades like a beaver tail grip safety, high cut frame below the trigger guard, ring hammer, and a flat top slide. Trigger pull on this carry 1911 is 5 pounds and....well, it's a 1911, the trigger is a big reason to carry one. Another great reason for carrying a 1911 is how slim it is.

Sig ammo in .38 Super +P has been available to me so it's been their 125gr JHP round which clocks 1230 ft/sec @ 420 ft-lbs. A very strong round that has exhibited nice expansion recovered from various bullet stops.

I get to rambling but I do remember that the OP was about ammo load out.
My theory is that I'm going to pack the pistol that I'm "best" with. One back-up magazine, a string of Rosary beads and my Stetson Open Road and I'm good to go.
The moment, the instant, the very first suspicion of an inclination, that there are going to be problems superior to solutions? I'm going to just pull up the covers and not roll out of the rack that day.

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Home or vehicular defense? How about the SIG Rattler with about 6 30 round magazines ready? (with hearing protection nearby...)

Folds to a satisfying 16 inches...

·
Registered
21,479 Posts
Well, 50 Moon clips loaded in 357 mag for the 627, M-1 Carbine, 9 30 round mags and 2 20 rnd, SR 1911 in 10mm, 5 mags, the CS-45 I carry some times, all 5 - 6 rnd mags full. I also have about 3 full ammo boxes of 30-06 in the Garand clips. And this by the bed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yessir, yessir- three mags full. .40 cal goodness. Ordering a fourth just to make it an even number.

And associated other "implements" and party favors onhand.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
My enbloc clips are all preloaded. I hate having to load those up in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
19,894 Posts
2 handguns, 2 mags loaded for each. If I feel the need to load additional mags I can at my discretion.
In the safe are 4 30 round AR mags loaded fro use. 2 in 300 blackout, 2 in 5.56
I figure that's plenty of firepower to take on any crowd that may come on my way. Once we start shooting they'll flee like rats on a sinking
ship.

I almost forgot I have 3 ammo cans of loaded enblocs for the Garand. That adds a pretty significant level of fire power to the loadout.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.