Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To date I have only taken my rifle out to the range and it has to be in a bag. Have thought if I had to use it for more serious purpose, I might want a sling.

So just wondering how many attach a sling. Mine is jsut the standard Sport II so I have to use a sling that threads on rather than the upgrade click on stuff.

ALSO, Is there any good way to carry more than one 30 round mag. The Range bag carries 5 mags but If I am not using the range bag but a sling, what would be the best way to carry extra mags?

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
Depends on the sling. There are slings designed for one point attachment, two point and three point.

A few years ago, I got some military surplus slings for AR-15 rifles. These attach at two points on the rifle's shoulder stock and one up front under the barrel.

These allow you to carry them on the back and quickly swing the rifle under your arm and into firing position.

I use a one point sling on a Sig Rattler Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) style pistol. This allows the short AR-15 class pistol to hang under the arm and possibly under a jacket for concealment. This PDW has several quick detachment points for slings. Two in the back and a couple up front.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
All my hunting rifles are 2 point (one forestock, one buttstock) swivel mounts and my 460 also has sling swivels (thought I don't use them. I use Quake Claw slings on them. Would be insane to carry a hunting rifle any other way.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
All of mine have 2 point slings. I use them more for stabilization than for carrying, though.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
There's quite a lot to learn about the use of a sling. Fortunately, there's a ton of YouTube videos to help learn what types of slings are available and how they are used for carrying and shooting positions. I use a Magpul MS4 which is a QD design and converts from two point to single point. SIngle point is mostly useless unless ya got hands on the rifle or aren't moving.

As far as carrying extra mags... a vest is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided on a Magpul RLS. The Sport II has the fixed metal loop attachment points with no provision for the QD or other types. Figured it would be like holsters, will wind up with more than one. Description describes RLS as having elements of Rhodesian and 1907 sling. Fits well. Long enough. For now it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.