Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have my new M&P.40c and finally got the free mags and then I finally got the finger extension bottom plate for the free mags (yesterday), so I have 4 mags w/ finger exts now.

BTW, I love this gun. It is accurate and fires w/o much recoil at all.

As this is a new gun for me and I never had autoloader before, I was wondering.....

How long do you leave a mag fully loaded before emptying to relax the spring?

How do you know you need a new spring? Possibly if it misfeeds consistantly?

What do you autoloader experts think?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I personally, always kept a mag loaded when i had my sigma 9 mm. In NY, they only trust us with 10 rounds in a magazine, keep that in mind. I never had any issues with the gun period.

Currently, my sigpro always has a full (10round) mag of .40 caliber goodness on hand. Again, never a problem.

i have heard people say that the springs will lose their springinissity, but I personally believe that 10 rounds won't hurt, judging by what has worked for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
IIRC, a gun manufacturer had mags loaded for many many years and there was never a problem.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Much depends upon the magazine.

I read a report in Guns and Ammo once wherein the Author found two fully loaded 1911 mags loaded with FA18 (Frankfort Arsenal; 1918) ammo. He believed they had been loaded long before WW2, possibly before that. All rounds fired and the magazines fed without problems.

In my own experience in over 45 years of shooting, the only magazine I've ever seen fail due to loss of spring tension was a Mossberg Shotgun. And it failed when I needed it most.

So as to not tempt the fates again, I usually down load my mags that are going into storage for long periods, especially double stack, hi-caps. My Glock G22 mags are loaded with 13 rounds and my AR-15 Mags with 26.

Drew

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Chuck (CXM). I believe, has a great story about the long life of springs. Hopefully he will check in on this one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to see that story on the springs. I'm an Engineer and have manufacturing experience with springs for gas tank components. A little dif application here.

Drew, That "one time" is why I asked. I want to do everything I can to avoid that.

I thought that there might be a rule of thumb out there.

For now, I thought that if I rotated them leaving 2 of the 4 empty that should work OK. Load up the others if needed and then leave the other 2 empty for a while.

My M&P 40c only holds 10, so I don't want to short load the mag.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like there isn't too much to worry about.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
From what I understand, it is the loading and unloading of magazines that wear out the springs. I have left them loaded for years and shot them with no trouble. I was hoping Chuck would get on this thread but he did respond to my email about it earlier today. Here is what he said:

Shaun,

You are exactly right... my grandfather loaded 12 magazines before he left for the Marines in WWI.

My grandmother used two magazines on a late night intruder... emptied one mag into him, reloaded and emptied the second... then reloaded again.

I shot some of that same RA 1916 ammo in the early 90s... from those magazines loaded in 1917.

They worked fine... nice two tone mags from Colt's that cost IIRC just over a dollar each.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Other springs go many decades under some tension and immediately return to "sprung" condition when freed up. Start thinking about the springs in a K38 from 1900-05. Or any 100 year old gun. If good quality spring wire is used, I think a magazine can be fully loaded for decades without any ill effects at all. Proper storage is far more a significant factor IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is pretty much the short version of the story of the old 1911 Mags I inherited as posted by Shaun...

There isn't too much to add to it except the moral I got from the story was "be careful of threatening a mother with a baby... at least back then. She was at home with my now very elderly aunt who was a new baby at the time... When she heard someone come in the house, she went to the bedroom and hoping the guy would go away... he didn't ... well didn't until he opened the door to her bedroom... where upon he was DRT.

I suppose these days people would say she used excessive force... though the rather more practical people of those days viewed deadly force rather like pregnancy... either you are or you are not... binary... same with deadly force... either it would kill the guy or not... anything beyond that needed to kill doesn't matter. :cool:

In any case, her uncle was sheriff at the time and another uncle was the coroner... (which in those days... and maybe still was not a doctor, rather it was an elected official) so I suppose the outcome was pre-determined... and 1917 Louisiana had little sympathy for criminals...

The gun she used was a commercial 1911 my grandfather bought in 1912 which was made in the first month of commercial production... I think that was the second time the gun was fired... and AFIK it has only been fired four times in total. In those days Colt's REALLY knew how to build a beautiful pistol... He bought the pistol to replace the revolver he carried... but didn't really like the auto... so it sat un-used for decades and decades... my grandfather having decided he liked S&W .44 revolvers... (guys tended to carry BIG revolvers back then.)

The magazines used were the old "two tone" mags with a lanyard ring at the bottom (my grandfather told me the ring was there to teach you to be gentle in seating mags... if you tried to slam one in you would feel it.)

The magazines were stored between 1917 and about 1946 in the deep South without air conditioning... and after 1946 with air conditioning... not particularly good conditions... but not the worst either.

When I fired two magazines of ammo, they shot without malfunction... I did clean them and the gun throughly because the ammo was no doubt both mercuric and corrosive... but at nearly 90 years of age it fired without problem and was as accurate as any other .45 ball I ever shot.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
That is a very interesting and fasinating story. I love storys like that.She didnt use excessive force just made sure to kill him extra dead like he deserved.Having and shooting a old gun like that with the original ammo would be like taking a trip back in time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Forever is no big deal. To check the spring tension in the future, load 2 cartridges, then lightly press down on the top one. If it springs back without issues your magazine spring is healthy and ready for more storage or range time. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
People were a lot tougher back then... I'm sure today Gran would have been considered to have been traumatized, had to go into counseling (by some limp wrist lib who could not defend themselves from a lovebug) and expect to get sympathy and "support" the rest of her life...

What actually happened was the family's nanny heard the disturbance (staff lived in the third floor) and came down to take care of my aunt... the coroner's office hauled off the debris from the incident, the maid cleaned up the mess and my grandmother, her uncles and assorted deputies all had a good breakfast... :mrgreen:

From what I heard whilst growing up, there was none of the artificial remorse or wringing of hands we see today... they all just got on with business... no particular joy over having to shoot... but no feeling sorry for the "poor child who had just started turning his life around" either...

My Great grandfather once made the comment they were able to catch two guys who were working with the ED who actually broke into the house... though I don't recall him saying what happened to them.

FWIW

Chuck

onenut58 said:
That is a very interesting and fasinating story. I love storys like that.She didnt use excessive force just made sure to kill him extra dead like he deserved.Having and shooting a old gun like that with the original ammo would be like taking a trip back in time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the great story and follow up.

As far as the mags, maybe someday my grandkids will benefit from any old mags I leave behind.

My original thought was about the last round in the mag could misfeed if spring tension was reduced below OEM specs. I have no experience with autos until now, so wondered if it was an issue or not.

500 mentioned a test so I guess that will do and I won't worry unless I use one alot more that others.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use a label machine and number my mags. Couple of reasons in a match left on the floor I can find my own. Rotate them sometimes starting with 1 sometimes backward from 6 or 8 others. Main reason though if one ever gives trouble and sooner or later most do, I know which one it is by the number. One acts up take the number off and put an X on the body untill repaired.

Most of them are going to give trouble because of dirt or bent feed lips. Have re-sprung a set of matched 1911 mags though when re-springing the gun, cost little and gives me piece of mind.

Personally my self defence needs are modest and covered by S&W revolvers, Automatics being what they are would never trust one that is not regularly used and maintained. Would treat them just like match mags rotate and use them often .

Boats

·
Registered
898 Posts
I keep mine fully loaded until I shoot them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sip,

I knew you would add that!!! I was waiting.

I figure in my 40 compact w/10 rounds....Oh about 2-3 seconds!

LOL.

Boat, I'm with you on your method. I already numbered mine. I didn't get as fancy as you with the labeler, I just used a Sharpie. I'll just rotate them like you said.

Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
f-150 did you sell your sigma?

·
Registered
898 Posts
leejack said:
f-150 did you sell your sigma?
He tried but every time someone pulls out money, he can't help himself from busting out laughing... :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Leejack... I have sinned. I traded it for a used sigpro 2340, .40s&w! The shop i deal with is great. It was an even trade!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts